From: Ross Wm. Rader [mailto:ross@tucows.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 9:58 AM
To: tim@godaddy.com; nc-transfer@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [nc-transfer] RE: [registrars] Pandora's Box (as it relates
to transfers)

Tim,

> I look forward to seeing the "compromise" you've referred to
> regarding the default-ACK aspect of the last Transfers TF
> proposal. As you know, our position is that it is neither
> appropriate nor enforceable.

The real compromise was reached last fall with the creation of the
document that I have been put forth to seek adoption of. As always, I am
happy to take into account new views that represent the wishes of the
constituency, but thus far I have not been provided with any concrete
counter-proposals that would effectively achieve the goals that have
been set for me by the constituency. Also please note that the "Transfer
TF' proposal is simply an evolution of the "Registrar Constituency
Position" that we adopted last fall.

> I think this whole dispute resolution issue is just another
> example of why it is not even practical. The losing registrar
> has to be able to determine if apparent authority was
> obtained PRIOR to ACKing the transfer. To expect consistent
> and timely resolution after the fact is unrealistic and not
> fair to the registrant. The risks of doing otherwise far out
> weigh any "convenience" issues.

I would like to hear more about this Tim. There is a huge difference
between verification of intent and the acquisition of authorization.
Your conception simply describes a perceived efficiency arising from the
verification of intent and with no thought as to the obligation to
acquire appropriate authorization. Even if the registrant *intended* to
transfer (which you as the losing registrar has verified), the gaining
registrar may not have acquired the appropriate authorization to
undertake the transfer. This raises a number of Big Questions that I
have a hard time reconciling against the existing policy proposal.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow