From: Neuman, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Neuman@neustar.us]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 3:43 PM
To: 'nc-transfer@dnso.org'
Cc: 'touton@icann.org'; 'halloran@icann.org'; 'philip.sheppard@aim.be'; 'rcochetti@veriSign.com'; 'nc-council@dnso.org'; 'jordyn.buchanan@registrypro.com'; 'ck@nic.museum'
Subject: [nc-transfer] Deletions Issue (outside our mandate)

All,

On the last two calls we have been talking about whether we should address the many issues surrounding domain name deletions in the "TRANSFER Task Force."  Let me again reiterate that as important I believe that issue is to the Internet community, the TRANSFERS Task Force is not the appropriate body to be working on that issue (or those issues....actually I am not sure what the issues we would be looking at would be).

The point is clear.  There are rules that have been set out by the Names Council on the operation of Task Forces (and there will be different ones in the new GNSO that we are working on), but the fact remains that a Task Force is convened for a narrow purpose and may not exceed that scope without a formal recommendation from the Names Council regardless of how bad we want to address the issue.  As inconvenient or time consuming as this process may be, we must follow these rules.  The Deletions issues may indeed need to go to a Task Force.  But that is a decision for the Names Council and not for us.

We have a tough job to do, and that is to draft a report on Transfers.  We have to buckle down and get that done.  I implore each of you to recommend that we refer the deletions issues to the Names Council to convene a different task force to address this subject.  Neither Christine nor I were selected by my constituency to represent them on deletions.

Personally, I am not sure I have the time to address those issues on a Task Force.  So, I am putting everyone on the group on notice, that if we start addressing those issues, neither Christine nor I are authorized to speak on behalf of the constituency.  Please try to understand that I am not doing this to be difficult, but rather because I (like a lot of people on this committee) am extremely busy and do not feel that I can devote the time that is needed to address the "DELETIONS" issue.

I remain faithfully committed, however, to finishing the work on the Transfers.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Loudoun Tech Center
46000 Center Oak Plaza
Building X
Sterling, VA 20166
p: (571) 434-5772
f:  (571) 434-5788
e-mail: Jeff.Neuman@Neustar.us

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER AS WE HAVE MOVED FROM OUR WASHINGTON, DC OFFICE.  THANKS.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail message and any attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.