[nc-transfer]

RE: [nc-transfer] FW: [ga] Companion Dispute Proposal to WLS Serv ice

While not an official position of the IPC (I am forwarding a copy of this
message to Steve Metalitz for comment by the IPC leadership), my personal
reaction is that that a sunrise on WLS is probably not worth the trouble and
expense.

Owners of domains related to their own marks, e.g., ATT.com, are unlikely to
intentionally allow them to expire (and is the reason for a grace period and
autorenewal being desired by IP owners) and the likelihood of such becoming
available via the WLS is not great and not worth the trouble and expense for
the IP owner to contest a WLS listing when all they need do is renew the
domain name to render the WLS listing irrelevant.

On the other hand, IP owners will not wait to acquire a domain name from the
WLS in the case of domain names that are currently held by a party who is
not entitled to use the mark, and will use other means, such as UDRP, to
acquire the domain sooner.

It would appear to me that the overwhelming us of the WLS will be to acquire
generic type domain names, such as cheapflights.com or computer4sale.com,
that are currently not available, and Sunrise is irrelevant for such generic
marks.

David S. Safran
Nixon Peabody LLP
8180 Greensboro Drive
Suite 800
McLean, VA 22102
Office:  703.770.9315
Fax:  703.770.9400
dsafran@nixonpeabody.com

This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender and delete the
message from your email system. Thank you.