[nc-transfer]

[nc-transfer] FW: [ga] Companion Dispute Proposal to WLS Service

  • To: "Transfer TF (E-mail)" <nc-transfer@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [nc-transfer] FW: [ga] Companion Dispute Proposal to WLS Service
  • From: "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:16:26 -0400
  • Sender: owner-nc-transfer@dnso.org

posted with consent of sender.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Berryhill [mailto:john@johnberryhill.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 10:50 AM
To: Marc Schneiders
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [ga] Companion Dispute Proposal to WLS Service

> Maybe we can remedy the grave injustice done to trademark owners a bit by
> a WLS sunrise? I think VeriSign could easily demand $500 per domain for
> sunrise WLSes.

That's true. Upon institution of the WLS, there will clearly be a rush of
applicants to get onto the WLS.  This could overload the registry's
capability to deal with management of the WLS, in addition to encouraging
WLS-squatting.

So, yes, a sunrise period for registered trademark holders would make sense.
Then, we'll need a WLS sunrise challenge procedure prior to population of
the actual WLS queue, and then a WLSDRP for claims arising once operation of
the WLS goes forward.

The WLS as currently proposed, contains no protection for IP interests at
all, in contrast to every other new service which has been launched since
the inception of ICANN.  This is reason enough to send the WLS back for a
re-work to explain how they intend to address the concerns of intellectual
property owners.