[nc-transfer]

Re: [nc-transfer] FW: Canadian Transfers Model

> I may be missing something but I thought that the focus for this TF was on
> transfers and issues with transfers between registrars not between
> registrants (although I haven't checked the ToR on this).

Good catch Rick...I believe that you are correct (I never bothered reading
the specific passages that Danny had excerpted because of my familiarity
with the actual transfer policy in dotCA ;)

My original comments on suitability stand, for the sake of accuracy the
actual registrar-registrar transfer policy follows below. This is excerpted
from: http://www.cira.ca/official-doc/115.RPPG_00011EN___v2.2.doc

9.                  CHANGE OF REGISTRAR

9.1              Change of Registrar.  A Registrant can change its Registrar
of record for all or some of its Registrations at any time in accordance
with this Section 9.  A Registrant is required to change its Registrar in
accordance with, and within the time limits provided in, Section 2.3 of the
Registrant Agreement with CIRA.  Under Section 2.5 of the Registrar
Agreement, a Registrar has limitations on its ability to contact and solicit
business from Registrants.

9.2              Selection of New Registrar.  To change its Registrar of
record for a domain name Registration, the Registrant must first select a
new Registrar.  A list of CIRA certified registrars can be found at
http://www.cira.ca/cira/public?LANGUE=en&REGIS=0.

9.3              Change of Registrar Request.  The Registrant must request
the new Registrar to submit a Change of Registrar Request to CIRA.  The
Change of Registrar Request will be validated and processed in accordance
with Section 5 and as follows:

(a)                If the Change of Registrar Request is validated in
accordance with Section 5, CIRA will notify the Registrant by email that its
new Registrar has submitted to CIRA a Change of Registrar Request for the
domain name Registration specified in the Request.  The Registrant will be
required to go, within 168 hours (seven (7) days) of the time and date of
CIRA's email to the Registrant, to a secure web page identified in the
email, identify itself with the User Account previously provided by CIRA and
confirm its identity by using the Private Password previously provided by
CIRA.  The Registrant will then be asked to confirm the Change of Registrar
Request.

(b)                If the Registrant confirms the Change of Registrar
Request within 168 hours (seven (7) days) of the time and date of CIRA's
email to the Registrant, CIRA will amend the Registrant Information to
identify the new Registrar as the Registrar of record for the Registration.
CIRA will also notify the Registrant, the former Registrar and the new
Registrar that the amendment has been recorded.  If the Registrant rejects
the Change of Registrar Request or fails to confirm the Change of Registrar
Request within 168 hours (seven (7) days) of the time and date of the email
received from CIRA, the Change of Registrar Request will be cancelled, the
Registrant and the new Registrar will be advised of the cancellation by
email, and no change will be made to the Registrar of record.

9.4              Unauthorized Changes.  If a Registrant has not requested or
authorized that a Change of Registrar Request be submitted on its behalf,
then the Registrant should immediately contact its Registrar and CIRA by
email and explain the situation.  A simple way to contact CIRA by email is
to use the email REPLY function on the email from CIRA.

9.5              Fee.  A Registrar of record is not permitted to charge a
Registrant any amount whatsoever related to or in connection with a change
to a new Registrar, other than an administrative fee which shall not exceed
$20.00 irrespective of the number of Registrations of that Registrant.

5.                  VALIDATION AND PROCESSING OF TRANSACTION REQUESTS

5.1              Validation of Transaction Requests.  Requests to renew,
transfer, modify, suspend or cancel a domain name Registration, and all
other requests under these rules and procedures with respect to a domain
name Registration (other than Registration Requests and Upgrade Requests
which will be validated in accordance with Section 2.7) (collectively,
"Transaction Requests") will be validated according to the following
criteria before being processed:

(a)                A Transaction Request can only be made by an active CIRA
Certified Registrar and must conform to CIRA's Technical and Security
Policies and Procedures for Registrars Communicating with the Registry
(located at http://www.cira.ca/registrars/documents.html);

(b)                The Transaction Request must be made by the Registrar of
record for the domain name Registration;

(c)                The Registrant specified in the Transaction Request must
match the Registrant of record in the UBC Registry or the CIRA Registry, as
the case may be, for the Registration specified in the Transaction Request;

(d)                The Transaction Request must be in the format specified
by CIRA in accordance with CIRA's Technical and Security Policies and
Procedures for Registrars Communicating with the Registry;

(e)                The Registrar must have sufficient funds in the CIRA
Deposit Account to cover any fees associated with the processing of the
Transaction Request in accordance with the Fee Schedule (located at
http://www.cira.ca/registrars/documents.html) plus any applicable taxes; and

(f)                 The domain name Registration specified in the
Transaction Request must: (i) be an Interim Registration in the UBC Registry
or exist in the CIRA Registry; (ii) be an active Registration (not
suspended); and (iii) not be in the process of being transferred.

The failure to meet any of these conditions will result in the Transaction
Request being rejected and cancelled by CIRA.  The Registrant's Registrar
will be advised of this by
CIRA by email and the Registrant's Registrar shall advise the Registrant of
such rejection and cancellation.  No fee will be payable by the Registrant's
Registrar in such event.

5.2              Processing of Transaction Requests.  Transaction Requests
will be processed as follows:

(a)                Transaction Requests will be processed on a first come,
first served basis.  At times of peak demand, Transaction Requests may be
queued by the CIRA Registry in accordance with the policy for the processing
of requests by Registrars (located at
http://www.cira.ca/registrars/documents.html).  The time it will take for
CIRA to pre-process a Transaction Request may depend on the method used by
an Applicant's Registrar to send a Transaction Request to CIRA (e-mail, CIRA
web based forms or automated web based forms using SSL and XML).  Generally,
if a Registrar uses e-mail to send Transaction Requests to CIRA, the
Transaction Request will take longer for CIRA to pre-process as e-mails must
be de-encrypted before processing.  Applicants should be aware of this in
selecting a Registrar;

(b)                CIRA will electronically verify that all required fields
on a Transaction Request form have been completed and select fields will be
formally validated;

(c)                If the Transaction Request is not complete or fails the
validation test, CIRA will advise the Registrar who submitted the
Transaction Request that the Transaction Request has been rejected and
cancelled.  The message will further indicate which fields have not been
filled in the Transaction Request or have failed a validation test.  The
Registrar shall notify the Registrant that the Transaction Request has been
rejected and cancelled.  If the Registrant wishes to proceed with the
requested transaction, it will be required to submit a new Transaction
Request through its Registrar in accordance with these rules and procedures;
and

If the Transaction Request is complete and has been validated in accordance
with the above procedures, CIRA will implement the Transaction Request and
the Registrar's balance in the CIRA Deposit Account will be debited the
applicable fee in accordance with the Fee Schedule (located at
http://www.cira.ca/registrars/documents.html) plus any applicable taxes