From: Paul Stahura [mailto:stahura@enom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 2:44 PM
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA
Subject: WLS

My comments:

First i'd like to say that I agree with many of the people who
are opposing WLS.  I'd like to quickly stress one reason over the
others, which is that WLS would give
an advantage to larger registrars, specifically Verisign-the-registrar
(since they have by far the most names)
because only the registrar would know when names will be deleted ahead of
their actual deletion, and thus could offer WLS subscriptions for those
names
at less risk than other registrars, thereby giving them an unfair
competitive
advantage that does not exist today.
For example, as the registrar who is about to delete "somename.com",
I could offer the WLS for this name to customers and guarantee that
their WLS subscription would definitely "ripen" and they would actually get
the name,
but another registrar would not be able to offer the WLS subscription
with the same guarantee, and in fact if they did actually sell the WLS
subscription for "somename.com", I may not ever delete
the name, thereby forcing the other registrar's customers (the consumer) to
waist their
money on the WLS subscription.
This situation would adversely effect consumers equal access to deleted
domains
they currently enjoy via equal competition amongst registrars.

We suggest a deterministic land-rush style method to redistributing
deleted domains where each registar submits a request list daily and the
registry
picks from the list in an ordered round-robbin fashion.

IF WLS is implemented, (and although I cannot see how it could be
morphed into "a good thing") at the very minimum, I suggest that WLS
subscriptions
be prohibited for any names that have already expired.

Paul