[nc-transfer]

[nc-transfer] Australian Draft Transfers Policy

Hi all,

The following is an excerpt from, and link to, auDA's (.au Domain
Administration Limited) recently issued draft policy on transfers.

--------STARTS-----------------

<quote>This document sets out auDA's policy on the transfer of a registered
domain name
which effect a change to the registrar of record in the registry database.
This
includes the following types of transfer:</quote>

http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-transfers-draft.pdf

-------ENDS--------------

COMMENT:

1.  Note that express authorization ("written authorisation" in their
wording) is defined (and does not include email)

2.  Note that they have avoided apparent authority arguments altogether by
specifying the level of authority required from the registrant.

3.  Interesting commercial model re enforced 2 year renewal.  Seems that it
leaves the registrant out of pocket or price-locked in or am I missing
something?

4.  Leaves open the question of whether a general written authorisation (eg
"you can take any and all actions necessary for the development,
maintenance, deployment and publication of my website including any DNS
activities") would suffice or whether one would need something more specific
(eg "you can transfer my domain name to whoever you like").

5.  Explicit prohibition on automated transfer - I wonder how registrars
will react to that?

Interesting food for thought.

Regards,

Rick Shera