[nc-str]

[nc-str] At-large

Structure task force,
I have received a summary of the key points that the ALSC will be making in Ghana based on their final report and their recent implementation report. As an alternative to sending the Structure TF interim report to the NC and Board we could provide short reactions to these points. I suggest we consider this option and the status of our report during our physical meeting in Ghana (4.30 - 6pm Sunday 10 March).  If you are not in Ghana, please appoint a representative for that meeting. (I am aware to date that Laurence will represent the IPC, and that Alex will represent the GA.)
Philip
--------------------------------

Hi, Philip.  Here are some bullets.  All of our material is on our website (www.atlargestudy.org).  Let me know if you have any questions.
Denise

Final Report:
  • ALSC reiterates recommendations in final report -- establish a regionally based global framework for all interested individuals' structured participation in ICANN, focus At-Large membership (an electorate) on an identifiable and vested community, provide a reasonable, initial mechanism for registration and self-funding, and grant At-Large members a proportionate responsibility for selecting ICANN's Board.
  • Create an At-Large Supporting Organization (ALSO) as a regionally-based framework for informed participation of any interested individual and for At-Large involvement in ICANN policy and decision-making.
  • Focus At-Large membership on an identifiable and vested community (an ALSO electorate) to provide a practical mechanism for voter registration and self-funding.
  • Provide a proportionate role for At-Large members in selecting ICANN's Board (along with other ICANN constituencies) (e.g. The ALSC recommends 6 At-Large Directors in a 19 member Board.).
  • Unlike last election, when individuals had no structure for sustained participation after casting a vote for a Director, we recommend a regionally based ALSO be created. The ALSO would serve as a local and regional-based framework for At-Large outreach and education, engagement and participation of members, aggregation of their views, consensus decision-making, and close cooperation with other organizations to address issues and develop policy on Internet user/consumer issues under ICANN's purview. We proposed that the ALSO be a bottom-up, decentralized, regionally-based structure that will enable individual members to learn about and discuss relevant issues in their own language, find common ground with users in other localities and regions, and ultimately provide meaningful input to ICANN's decision-making and policies.
Implementation Report:
  • Given the uncertainty inherent in creating a self-sustaining At-Large membership, the ALSC recommends that the Board require a threshold of 5000 individual members before proceeding with the At-Large election. This will ensure a minimum level of At-Large participation and is consistent with the last At-Large election's threshold requirement. If the threshold is not reached in time to conduct the election and seat new At-Large Directors by the end of the year, the ALSC recommends that the Board appoint Directors to fill At-Large Board seat vacancies (initially by inviting existing At-Large Directors to continue their service and perhaps through a nominating committee).
  • Moving forward with an At-Large election and ALSO creation immediately after ICANN's Accra meeting would require approximately US$255,000 in initial funding in calendar year 2002. (See ALSC 2002-2005 cost estimates)
  • To assist with the At-Large elections and help organize the At-Large community and launch an ALSO, we recommended that ICANN create an ALSO Organizing Committee with an Elections Subcommittee. Members of the Organizing Committee should include one or more At-Large Directors and should represent geographic and professional diversity. The Committee would develop (or refine) proposed guidelines, procedures and a budget for the At-Large election, building on the ALSC's detailed suggestions, and help guide the At-Large elections. The Committee would propose (and assist with implementation of) bylaws, a charter, and organizational and outreach plans and budgets, and would develop guidelines to foster an ALSO that can develop and present policy advice to the Board (in close consultation with other Supporting Organizations)
  • Given the magnitude and complexity of creating a global ALSO, we also suggest the Committee solicit the assistance of, and work closely with, organizations throughout the world that are interested in ICANN's specific activities. Using existing organizations to help "jumpstart" ALSO organizing can be an effective way of accelerating outreach and the creation of local and regional ALSO entities. (See list of organizations that have already pledged assistance.)
  • Questions have been raised about the level of interest in At-Large membership, particularly if a membership fee is required. Quantifying in advance the level of interest in a self-sustaining At-Large membership to any reasonable degree of certainty is impossible. We suggest that the Board consider a variety of data points, keeping in mind the significant margin of error inherent in each one. (See ALSC documents for data points)
  • The ALSC recommends that interested individuals who wish to become ALSO members minimally meet three criteria: demonstrated interest, authenticated identity and financial contribution.
    • "Demonstrated interest" is shown by an individual's action to sign up for membership in the ALSO (and the regional ALSO if established) *and* by possession of an individual domain name. Individual domain name holders are an identifiable and vested community with tangible interest in ICANN activities and can provide an important foundation for an At-Large constituency. We continue to recommend holding a domain name as the primary criterion for At-Large membership. However, to also enable participation by interested individuals who are unable to, or choose not to, hold a domain name (and to further encourage broad participation), we recommend that subscription to specific ICANN mailing lists, or attending an ICANN meeting and signing up for membership in person, or belonging to specified organizations that contribute to ICANN's mission, can be substituted for domain name ownership. (See ALSC documents for details on registration/authentication/payment process)
  • The ALSC has provided proposed guidelines for an At-Large election.
  • The ALSC recommends that ICANN provide a dedicated staff person for At-Large activities and contract out all elements of the At-Large election (except for the Nominating Committee process) with ICANN "At-Large staff" oversight.