[nc-str]

Re: [nc-str] Draft report on ALSC v3

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:31:29 +0100, "Philip Sheppard"
<philip.sheppard@aim.be> wrote:

>So please find attached a revised draft initial report
>containing updated evaluations on the ALSC. I have
>also started to draw recommendations based on the
>evaluations we have made to date.

Thanks for this Philip,  I have posted summaries of earlier discussion
to both the GA and the IDNO for feedback.  There hasn't been a lot of
discussion yet but a couple of comments have been supportive.

The issue of membership criteria for the ALSO looks to be quite an
important factor.  It would be useful to know if the ALSC are likely
to move away from their original recommendation.

For now just one issue with v3 and that is the suggested level of
30,000 ALSO members before elections.  I think this is too high by a
massive amount.

Only 34,000 people actually voted last time and that was under a
system where it was free to vote.  Even if the fee is extremely modest
say US$5 one is going to have a few thousand members max IMO.  If
restricted to domain name holders maybe even less.

The last election figures were inflated by a couple of countries
running campaigns which hopefully will not occur in future.  To get a
better idea of likely interest I would look at the North American
election.  One had a genuine range of views amongst candidates and no
nationalistic considerations.

In NA 3,449 voted.  There are over 150,000,000 Internet users in NA so
this is 0.0023%.

Now world wide there are around 500,000,000 Internet users so 0.0023%
is 11,500.  Now this is before you even take account of what effect a
fee and restricting to domain name holders will take.

I'd be thinking 1,000 - 2,000.  Now some may assert this is far too
low but in each constituency we have election where no more than 50
ever seem to vote.  100 perhaps at the most.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527