[nc-str]

RE: [nc-str] Welcome

Phil,

Just checking in with you and the group.    I did not receive a "discussion paper" last week and I checked the archives and found nothing.   Any update on whether or when you might circulate something?

Also, I just received a copy of this draft resolution which I understand was circulated this morning.   In light of our efforts just getting underway, what is reaction to this draft?

*Draft* Proposed Action Statement for ICANN's Board

Based on an extensive outreach, discussion, research, and consensus-building

campaign the ALSC recommends that, on November 15, 2001, the ICANN Board

adopt the following recommendations concerning At-Large participation

and representation.

(1) The Board affirms that individual Internet users have a significant

stake in ICANN's activities and should have the opportunity of fully

participating in ICANN.

(2) While the ALSC's final report remains open for comment and

consideration, the Board acknowledges that the following basic principles

should guide expedited action on At-Large:

(a) Create an At-Large Supporting Organization (ALSO) as a regionally-based

framework for informed participation of any interested individual and for

At-Large involvement in ICANN policy and decision-making (including

mechanisms to foster discussion among individuals and with ICANN's

decision-making bodies);

(b) Focus At-Large membership on an identifiable and vested community (an

ALSO electorate) to provide a practical mechanism for voter registration and

self-funding (e.g. The ALSC recommends that membership be based on

individual domain name holders);

(c) Provide a proportionate role for At-Large members in selecting ICANN's

Board (along with other ICANN constituencies) (e.g. The ALSC recommends 6

At-Large Directors in a 19 member Board).

(3) The Board requests that the ICANN CEO solicit expressions of interest to

determine the degree of interest in creating local and regional ALSO

entities that would support informed participation of interested individuals

and At-Large involvement in ICANN, and report the results to the Board at

the March 2002 ICANN meeting.

(4) The Board authorizes the extension of the ALSC until March 31, 2002 to

work with the Supporting Organizations, other interested parties, and ICANN

staff on proposing detailed plans for an At-Large membership, voter

registration, and a regionally-based, self-supporting ALSO.

A Message from:
Mark Bohannon
General Counsel and Vice President for Government Affairs
Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)
Update your records ....  As of September 1, I can be reached at:
SOFTWARE & INFORMATION INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION (SIIA)
1090 Vermont Avenue, NW 6th Floor
Washington, DC  20005
Telephone:      (202) 289-SIIA (7442) x 1325
Direct Voice:  (202) 789-4471
Fax:            (202) 289-7097
Internet: MBohannon@siia.net
Protect Your Website. Protect Your Software. Protect Your Content.
Learn more about the new SIIA Copyright Registration Service and register
your copyrighted works with the U.S. Copyright Office today.
Visit http://www.siia.net/crs/ for more information.