[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] Expression of concern

Ken,

Your concerns I do understand. Please aloow me to make four
observations:

1. As Milton has already pointed out, the report does not state that
there _have_ to be elections for management. On the contrary. It says
"and/or". Applicants can state how they implement this. Could also be
(though I hope not) some advisory council.

2. At some time, long ago it seems now, I suggested, before this task
force even began, that ORG might be turned into a cooperative. This
was not a good idea, if only because 'cooperative' means something
different in different countries.

3. This whole operation is the result of resolving problems with a
monopoly/cartel-like market. Either you give ORG to a commercial
competitor of VeriSign (which can then market it as a competitor of
Com and NET), or you regulate the market in another way. The latter
was chosen by ICANN (and/or VeriSign). We are talking about a
_regulated_ market.

4. If you give ORG to a non-profit, who is going to monitor the
non-profit ORG officers/management? Not the market. So who? Some form
of input/voice from those who use/buy ORG names seems inevitable. ORG
is, as now defined by the ICANN/VeriSign contract, something in
between market and democracy. Like ICANN itself.