[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] What a S,R proposal must do

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, at 20:05 [=GMT-0500], Ken Stubbs wrote:

> my personal opinion here ....
>
> this proposed  "dual registrars approach" is far to difficult to administer
> and leaves too many potential conflicts open.
>
> for example"
>
> 1. who administers mktg policies

The SO.

> 2. who decides that registrar is in violation of "guidelines"

The SO, or some body under it.

> this opens up a "huge can of worms" here and becomes far too convoluted and,
> frankly, a potential  "administrative nightmare"

Maybe for registrars this is not what they are dreaming of. It is not
impossible, I think, to deal with complaints about websites that
violate the marketing policy. The SO does not have to monitor all
websites. Competiting registrars/resellers will complain about each
other to the SO. I know this from the Tucows/OpenSRS resellers list in
re using the ICANN logo on websites of resellers. Worked quite well as
far as I know. If a reseller doesn't listen, well, the end. Basically
it would mean, I guess, but IANAL, that all registrars enter into new
contracts for new registrations (without affecting their existing
registrations), which clearly contain the obligations and the
consequences of violating them.

> not at all practical....

Extra work, yes.