[nc-org]

[nc-org] What a S,R proposal must do

A S,R (sponsored, restricted)
proposal must meet the following criteria:

A. Must provide guidance as to what kind of a
Sponsoring Organization (SO) we want. (Not difficult)

B. Must provide guidance as to how the affected
community is defined by, and represented in, the SO
(not difficult)

C. Must delegate authority to the SO to set policy IN
PLACE OF ICANN policy in more than one of the
following areas:

C1. eligibility restrictions or other naming
conventions
C2. qualification of registrars
C3. dispute resolution (CEDRP)
C4. WHOIS

(not impossible, but raises many new issues
we haven't discussed. Also, whatever delegation
occurs must be consistent with the desire of
some constituencies to make .org conform to
standard UDRP and WHOIS policies)

D. Must provide clear guidance as to how to handle
the discrimination that must occur between new
and "grandfathered" registrations (difficult and new)

E. Must be consistent with the TF's original agreement
that .org would remain open and that it would be
differentiated primarily through marketing and
end user selection. (very difficult)

I attempted this, but the more I tried to do it the
more convinced I became of the simplicity and wisdom of
the U,U model. I am not going to ruin any more of
my holiday season on that task. Anyone else is
welcome to try.

NOW, here's an important part of this message:

If we are to consider the S,R model at all, we need
a concrete proposal, based on the original TF report,
that meets the above criteria put before this Task
Force (not somewhere else) by JANUARY 1ST.

I must insist on that deadline, otherwise members will
not have a chance to thoroughly read and discuss
it in time for the teleconference.