[nc-org]

[nc-org] Dot Org in 4 layers

I have been catching up with e-mail, reading Milton and Cary
notes. I am not sure UU scheme is better that SR one - we may
be just trapped in language.

Because Milton's new summary (UU)
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-org/Arc00/msg00304.html
gives a huge part to registration policy matters, it seems to me
natural that such could be separated into Charter, and makes us agree.

Here my summary on Dot Org in 4 layers. Mistakes possible.

Elisabeth
--

The functions of Dot Org are defined at 4 layers:

 Layer 1 - Dot Org Entity
 Layer 2 - Registry Operator
 Layer 3 - Registrars
 Layer 4 - Registrants

The general frame is provide by ICANN, where global rules
such as UDRP or whois are determined and made compulsory
on all gTLDs, according to their specificities.

The Layer 1 is in charge of:
  - Dot Org Charter, i.e. policy concerning registrations
  - Determining the annual budget for Dot Org Entity
  - Management of the expected surpluses from the .org Registry Operator,
    which should define the scope eg. the digital divide fund.
    To be defined: the methods by which funds might
    be allocated and transparency.

The Layer 1 should be operated as a non-profit organization.

The Layer 2 is in charge of Registry operations:
  - It must follow the Dot Org Charter established by Layer 1
  - It must follow the Registy cost determined between Layer 1 and 2
  - It must follow the IETF works related to Registry-Registrars scheme
  - It must be neutral to all Registrars at Layer 3
  - It must provide for satisfactory scheme for Layer 4 - Registrants
    (customers), which are in contact with Registrars, and may need means
    of communication to the neutral company above Registrars
    to deal with whatever conflictual situations which may arise

The Layer 2 should be operated as a non-profit organization, which
means that surpluses are not distributed to stakeholders, but rather
the overall uses of such funds should be in the vision and strategy
of the Dot Org Entity.

The Layer 3 are Registrars accredited by ICANN which:
  - Must follow the Dot Org Charter established by Layer 1
  - Must follow the Registy cost determined between Layer 1 and 2
  - Shall follow the IETF works related to Registry-Registrars scheme
  - Shall provide a satisfactory high level service to Layer 4

The Layer 4 are Registrants which are concerned by the following:
  - Be able to select a domain name according to the Dot Org Charter
  - Be free to select its name servers service
  - Be free to select its web or e-mail service
  - Be free to select its connectivity service
  - Be free to change the Registrar or any of the service providers above
The Registrars cannot impose on Registrants any constraints on
where the name servers shall be (they may be under any TLD).