[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] Revised (final?) ORG Policy Statement

Please see my note inside.
Elisabeth

> NAMES COUNCIL .ORG DIVESTITURE TASK FORCE
>
> Statement of Policy (v 4.0, November 8, 2001)
>
> The DNSO finds that responsibility for the policy and
> operation of the .org TLD should be delegated to an
> organization that conforms to the following criteria:
>
> 1. The .org TLD Should be a Sponsored, Unrestricted
> Domain
>
> The revised .org TLD should be sponsored but no
> eligibility restrictions should be imposed on the
> prospective registrants.
>
> 1a. Sponsored.
> Each candidate Sponsoring Organization (SO) should
> include in its application a definition of the
> relevant community for which names in the .org TLD are
> intended, detailing the specific types of registrants
> who constitute the target market for .org, and
> proposing marketing and branding practices oriented
> toward that community. The marketing practices should
> not encourage defensive or duplicative registrations.
>
> Regarding the definition of the relevant community,
> the DNSO offers this guidance: the definition should
> include not only traditional noncommercial and non-
> profit organizations, but individuals and groups
> seeking an outlet for noncommercial expression and
> information exchange, unincorporated cultural,
> educational and political organizations, and business
> partnerships with non-profits and community groups for
> social initiatives.
>
> Regarding marketing and branding practices, the
> sponsoring organization may propose contractual
> conditions with registrars that contain stipulations
> designed to support or enhance the distinct identity
> of the .org domain. Consistent with 1b below,
> however, such stipulations should not restrict
> end users' eligibility.

===> Please remove that one:

---
                          The stipulations also should
> not be so costly to comply with as to act as a
> major constraint on the number of registrars
> serving the .org domain.
---
    In French we would say you are trying here to
    "avoir du beurre, l'argent du beurre et du lait de la fermiere".

> 1b. Unrestricted Eligibility
> With a defined community and appropriate marketing
> practices in place, the sponsoring organization and
> the registrars should rely entirely on end-user
> choice to determine who registers in .org.
>
> Specifically: the new entity:
> * Must not evict existing registrants who do not
>   conform to its target community. The transition must
>   make it clear at the outset that current registrants
>   will not have their registrations cancelled nor will
>   they be denied the opportunity to renew their names
>   or transfer them to others.
> * Must not attempt to impose prior restrictions
>   on people or organizations attempting to make new
>   registrations;
> * Should not adopt, or be required by ICANN to adopt,
>   new dispute initiation procedures that could result in the
>   cancellation of domain delegations. If it can be
>   implemented in adherence with this principle, the
>   newly introduced CEDRP may be adapted to ensure SO

===> What is CEDRP ?

>   and registrar diligence in the maintenance of .org
>   marketing policies. The UDRP would apply as per #4
>   below."
>
> 2. Characteristics of the Sponsoring Organization
> Administration of the .org TLD should be delegated to a
> non-profit Sponsoring Organization (SO) with
> international support and participation from current
> .org registrants and non-commercial organizations inside
> and outside of the ICANN process. It should be
> authorized to contract with commercial service
> providers to perform technical and service functions.
> Either new or existing organizations should be eligible
> to apply to become the SO. A new organization need not
> be formally incorporated prior to submitting its
> application.

---
> Applicants for the SO should propose policies and
> practices supportive of non-commercial participants in
> the ICANN process.

===> I do not undestand what it is about.
     We are speaking about a company running a hard business
     and able to handle millions of domain names and customers.
     If they are efficient and doing good work, they
     support everybody. The participation in ICANN process
     is out of the scope.

> The DNSO requires SO applicants to propose governance
> structures that provide current .org registrants with
> the opportunity to directly participate in the
> selection of officers and/or policy-making council
> members.

===> I do not undestand what it is about.
     The policy-making body for gTLD is ICANN. What is
     policy-making council ?
     Who are officers ?

     You refuses to consider valid important and responsible
     input on implementation of NEW dot org Registry,
     and at the same time you enter into details which
     are very curious.