[nc-org]

New ORG in real life (Re: [nc-org] Re: Version 3.0 of policy statement

Thank you, Elisabeth, for the message below. I find it very helpful to
give us a perspective of how the new ORG could/should look. It makes
more than a lot of sense to keep the future 'real life' in mind, when
we set up a policy. And the experience of the larger ccTLDs (some, if
I am not mistaken, bigger than ORG), which are in part also serving a
restricted registrant base (e.g. in .NL only registered companies and
organizations) is much needed.

Your message made me consider another matter, that I would like to see
included in the policy statement: the application fee. I would
certainly not expect this to be the same amount as that charged for
the commercial TLDs chosen last year. Although I can see why there
must be one (if only to keep ridiculous applications out), it should
be so low that money is not a determining factor in the selection
process. Rather a symbolic application fee, just high enough to limit
the number of applications. If a figure is needed: $1,000? Maybe this
could be added at the end of the policy statement?

As you point out, ORG can make a lot of money. That is another reason
why it is of such importance that the 'operator' is selected based on
a policy that is clear about money matters. I have just come to
realize that, thanks to your message. What can the new ORG do with its
'profit'? Lower the registration fees? Give away (or at a lower price)
domains to organizations in third world countries? Set up a
payment system over the Net that works for those who have no
credit card? Finance governance internet projects (At Large)?

--
Marc@Schneiders.ORG