[nc-org]

[nc-org] Re: Revised Statement of Policy

> ICANN's current TLD process is about adding new TLDs.
> But ORG is not a NEW TLD, and the purpose of this process
> is NOT to create a new TLD, but to divest an existing TLD
> from a registry, primarily for competition policy purposes.

These two sentences are inconsistent with each other. If the current
TLD process only addresses the creation of new ones, why is ICANN
simultaneously involving itself with .com/.net/.org and the ccTLDs?

> ORG has been around since 1984, has been open since 1996, and
> currently has close to 3 million registrants. Those are facts/
> constraints that simply cannot be ignored.

Of course the history of the thing places constraints on its future.
The point that I'm trying to get across is that ICANN is applying a
coherent descriptive and structural framework to both new and
old gTLDs. Take a look at the way the recent .com, .net, and .org
agreements are framed at,

http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/

and compare these to the agreemnts for the new TLDs at,

http://www.icann.org/tlds/

If you can see any fundamental differences in the structure of the
documents, themselves, I would appreciate a summary qualitative
description. Otherwise, we may an easier time describing newORG if
we use the same framework than if we use terms of our own definition
without any apparent need for doing so.

/Cary