[nc-intake]

Re: [nc-intake] External speaker for LA

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, YJ Park wrote:
> Caroline,
>
> Your messages have been a bit inconsistent so I try to patch them
> not to misunderstand them with your clarifications later.
>
> Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 12:48 AM
> > I think some would argue that while law professors may have a good sense
> of
> > the law in "theory", they often lack real world or practical experience.

In the US at least it is very common for professors to have practiced in
firms and/or government before starting teaching.  (I did 5 years of this
before teaching, for example.)  They also commonly consult while teaching.
In fact, my 3 years of private practice were spent in international
commercial arbitration, which I think gives some relevant background for
talking about the UDRP.  WIPO named me to its panel of experts for the
first set of DN proposals, so if you think their opinion is critical,
there you have it.

In any event, please beware of giving in to the cultural stereotype of
professors as somehow out of touch with reality.  I think if you look at
the work most of us in the Internet field are doing, it is very very
oriented towards real-world issues.

--
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                       -->It's warm here.<--