[nc-intake]

[nc-intake] LA agenda

Further to Caroline's question and Roger's reply on LA agenda item number
3. White Paper on gTLD Best Practices (Roger) - 30 mins.

Roger, is NOT proposing a discussion on the NSI/Verisign white paper but a genuine exchange on TLDs and IP. An attempt to reach  an agreement on the issue left hanging after WG B finished with it.

Roger said in reply to another exchange:
"Since I suggested the item, let me explain.  While the Council has had two discussions on the topic, it would be difficult to say that it has put forward either detailed or thorough recommendations.  No group of people anywhere is better qualified than the NC to examine the issues of protecting IP in the creation of new gTLDs and if we leave our work at the status quo, then I don't think the Council has made the contribution that it was created to make. So my thought was to have a Council discussion in which we examined the alternative types of approaches and discussed the strengths and weaknesses of each.  We may surprise ourselves and find there is a greater consensus than we had expected or we may confirm your implicit expectation that there's not much either new or that we can contribute.  My sense is that the subject is important enough to justify the effort...Roger."

I see no reason to not accept. Let's let Roger introduce the topic and discuss. Perhaps with a view to going further with a new work group of the NC initially ? If so I will adjust the agenda to read:
3. TLDs and Intellectual Property (Roger) - 30 mins

Comments please IC members.

Philip.