[nc-impwhois]

RE: [nc-impwhois] Starting point for WHOIS implementation discussions

Rick,

No FUD, just some practical concern. I'll elaborate a bit.

Recommendation 11 currently reads:
"Registrars must require Registrants to review and validate all WHOIS data
upon renewal of a registration. (effectively an extension of RAA clause
3.7.7.1 above) The specifics of required validation remain to be determined
by this Task Force or another appropriate body."

You suggest we define VALIDATE as: "VERIFIED by a third party that the data
is syntactically and semantically ACCURATE." You suggest ACCURATE be defined
as "Free from error, conforming to local, geographical and political postal
addressing, international PSTN dialing and RFC2822 standards."

I don't have a problem with those particular definitions as such. I have a
problem with how they relate to renewals as stated in recommendation 11. How
does the Registrant VALIDATE using the suggested definition? Who is the
third party that they will use to verify the syntax and semantics? Is it the
Registrar? If so, what tools do we use to accomplish this for an
international community?

So perhaps the definitions are reasonable, but the term validate needs to
come out of the recommendation. It may then be implemented as:

"Upon renewal of a registration, Registrars must require Registrants to
review and explicitly confirm that all WHOIS data is current and ACCURATE."

Rick, I'm not opposed to improving data accuracy. I just want to be sure I
can implement the requirements that come out of this without having to pass
significant costs on to our customers. And since one of this groups mandates
is to consider the cost of implementation, if VALIDATE is left in
recommendation 11, we'll need to start looking at more specifics on how to
VALIDATE based on the definition of ACCURATE.

Tim