[nc-impwhois]

RE: [nc-impwhois] Starting point for WHOIS implementation discussions

Rick,

Regarding 11: If we use those definitions renewing a domain will become
unacceptably complicated. During a renewal a registrant should only be
required to review their data and confirm that it is still correct, and be
provided a way to make changes if necessary.

As I have always maintained, any method we use to try to validate the
accuracy in the manner you seem to suggest is going to increase the cost of
registrations substantially. There is no way around that. And I have not
seen anyone offer any tools, methods, etc. to assist with this that are
reliable, up to date, 100% accurate, and internationl in scope.

I strongly believe that for the average person, privacy is the pirmary
reason for not giving full data, or inaccurate data. Without addressing
their privacy concerns they will only become more adept at giving false
data, giving us all a false sense of having accomplished something.

If such validation is expected to help identify, contact, or dissuade
spammers, or other criminal elements, we are already deluded. The approach
for such abuse needs to take a completely different direction.

Tim