[nc-impwhois]

RE: [nc-impwhois] Starting point for WHOIS implementation discussions

Tim,

comments in-line.

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> RE: [nc-impwhois] Starting point for WHOIS implementation discussionsBulk
> Access
> I agree with Elana that abuse of port 43 is a serious problem and should be
> addressed. However, I am concerned that the wording below may dissuade
> implementation of the bulk whois recommendation. I don't believe that
> further restricting the use of bulk whois will affect port 43 abuse one way
> or the other. All but one instance of the port 43 abuse that we have
> identified has come from parties who have never requested our bulk whois.
>
> The recommendation as stated is reasonable and can be implemented with very
> little impact on registrars.
>
> Whois Accuracy
> 11. The implementation issue here is definition of "validate." I would
> recommend that it be simply a check box, button, or method for the
> registrant to confirm that yes, the data is current and correct, e.g. in a
> fashion similar to what a registrar requires for confirmation of acceptance
> of the Registration Agreement.

I agree that simple acknowledgment by the registrant that the data is
accurate is sufficient; however what of the case when the registrant lies
and the data is not accurate, what should the registrar do?

using the above logic I propose we use the following definitions.

  VERIFIED  - The registrant has acknowledged that the information is true
              and correct.

  VALIDATED - VERIFIED by a 3rd party that the data is syntactically
              and semanticly ACCURATE.

  ACCURATE  - Free from error, conforming to local, geographical and
              political postal addressing, international PSTN dialing
              and RFC2822 standards.

> 12. I think this is fine as stated. The Deletes TF will deal the details of
> the verification procedure or documentation. This deals simply with the fact
> that proof of verification must be submitted to redeem a domain from the RGP
> "if" it has been deleted due to false data.

agreeded, I'm happy to point to a definition or existing procedure for
defining "proof" if one exists. If there is no normative refrence we
should have some guidance for those developing such, mabe we could even
have a confrence with the delete TF to go over the mater.

> 13. Here I believe that the documentary proof must be of the same nature as
> that required to redeem a name from the RGP when deleted for false data. I
> don't think we need more than one description or policy detailing what is
> acceptable verification. Again, the Deletes TF is dealing with this.

I may agree if we can see what the Deletes TF is doing and as long as they
have something we can point to thats fine; we should tell them we are
punting on the topic and relying on them to produce it.