   Subject: RE: [nc-deletes] Revisions to 3.1.4 and next call
   From: "Jordyn Buchanan" <jordyn.buchanan@Registrypro.com>
   Date: Mon, March 17, 2003 1:01 pm
   To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@confusion.net>, <nc-deletes@dnso.org>

   Tim:

   The language about price isn't intended to dictate any particular
   price, or even any particular practice.  However, it's intended to
   avoid the situation where a registrar might raise the price of a
   renewal after the domain has expired (and can consequently no longer
   be transferred to another registrar--rightly so).  If the registrant
   is warned that this will be the case when they register the domain, I
   think it's just a registrar business practice that none of us has any
   business regulating; on the other hand there's some public interest in
   avoiding a situation in which the registrar imposes a "late renewal
   penalty" without warning and after they have exclusive control of a
   domain name.  I think the current language is a good compromise
   between regulating no increase (as some of the public commentors
   sought) and a completely hands-off approach on this issue.

   Jordyn