[nc-deletes]

RE: [nc-deletes] Revisions to 3.1.4 and next call

Tim:

The language about price isn't intended to dictate any particular price, or even any particular practice.  However, it's intended to avoid the situation where a registrar might raise the price of a renewal after the domain has expired (and can consequently no longer be transferred to another registrar--rightly so).  If the registrant is warned that this will be the case when they register the domain, I think it's just a registrar business practice that none of us has any business regulating; on the other hand there's some public interest in avoiding a situation in which the registrar imposes a "late renewal penalty" without warning and after they have exclusive control of a domain name.  I think the current language is a good compromise between regulating no increase (as some of the public commentors sought) and a completely hands-off approach on this issue.

Jordyn