[nc-deletes]

Re: [nc-deletes] two additional issues

Tim Ruiz wrote:
> It may be that there is a general issue of warehousing that is not
> directly germane to the work of this task force.

Let's think about this another way. I generally think of "warehousing" as a
registrar practice in which the registrar deals in a volume of domain names
for its own account. A domain name can come into a registrar's account by
one of three means:

   (1) Registrant allows the domain name to lapse (or asks
       that it be deleted), but registrar fails to delete
       the domain name during grace period and name renews
       at registry. Registrar takes name for its own account.

   (2) Registrant purchases domain name through fraud and
       registrar takes name during remaining term to resell
       in order to cut its losses.

   (3) Registrar purchases domain name for its own account
       ab initio.

As I read our draft recommendation, practice (1) will no longer be possible.
Practices (2) and (3) are not affected in any way. Correct?

     -- Bret