From: owner-nc-deletes@dnso.org [mailto:owner-nc-deletes@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Bret Fausett
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 11:25 AM
To: nc-deletes@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [nc-deletes] two additional issues

Jordyn A.Buchanan wrote:
> (2) I'd like to get a little registrar perspective here.  In some
> cases, I think they should have the option of continuing to provide the
> service for free to the registrant.

It ought to depend on what the contract says. If a registrar has
provided two years for the price of one, then that's not really covered
by what I suggested because there is still a contract in place between
the registrar and the registrant.

What I was trying to get at is the situation in which a registrar has
contracted with a registrant for a one-year term but purchased two years
(or more) from the registry. When that one-year contract expires, there
is no longer a registrant for the domain name. Why shouldn't that name
be deleted? And if it's not deleted, who is the registrant? Who is it
exactly who is bound by the UDRP, the whois accuracy requirements, etc.?

         Bret