From: Roger J. Cochetti [mailto:roger@cochetti.us]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 3:58 PM
To: Bruce Tonkin
Cc: roger@cochetti.us; nc-corp@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [nc-corp] GNSO budget issues beyond 1 July 2003

Thanks Bruce.

By copy of this note to Glen, I am asking her to schedule a
meeting of the Budget Committee to address the issues that
you have raised.

Two questions and one comment:

1) Is there any date by which you would like the Committee's
recommendations?; and

2) Is there some further context for your question about
writing off Constituency debts for dues?  Whether the debts
remain on the GNSO's books or not has little practical
impact. Under widespread accounting practices, most or all of
these assets would have been written off as uncollectable
long ago, so their value as "assets of the GNSO" is pretty
doubtful.  But the GNSO is not a public corporation and the
old DNSO Budget Committee established a principal that no
Constituency should officially subsidize other Constituencies-
which is what led to the existing DNSO/GNSO practice of not
ever forgiving unpaid dues.  So is there some further
context?

3)There should be no confusion, as far as I am concerned,
that the GNSO funds are managed by ICANN management in trust
for the GNSO and they are not in any way ICANN funds per se.
Thus, there is no easy way that any unspent GNSO funds could
be converted into ICANN funds.  They were contributed by
DNSO/GNSO Constituencies for the express purpose of operating
the GNSO with the funds being under the control of the GNSO;
and that is what they should be used for.  These funds could
be returned to the Constituencies or the Constituencies could
be asked to accept a change to the terms of their use, but
absent something like these actions, there was never any
doubt that any unused funds would remain at the disposal of
the GNSO.  Whether ICANN management wishes to continue to
administer the GNSO funds on behalf of the GNSO, however, is
obviously their decision.

Roger

Roger Cochetti
Chair