[nc-budget]

[nc-budget] FW: BUDGET COMMITTEE TELCON

-----Original Message-----
From: Erica Roberts [mailto:Erica.Roberts@melbourneit.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 3:58 AM
To: McAllister, Athena; Chuck Gomes (E-mail); Cochetti, Roger; Elisabeth
Porteneuve (E-mail); Ken Stubbs (E-mail); Michael Schneider (E-mail);
Theresa Swinehart (E-mail)
Subject: RE: BUDGET COMMITTEE TELCON

I have not heard anything about a proposed telco but would support the move.

I have also had my attempt to use the NC-budget list rejected.  However,
herewith my contribution to the debate.

Attached for comment is the draft job description/requirements for the
Secretariat we discussed at ou last meeting.

As I see it, we need now to agree on the job description/requirements and
the process for filling the job.  We have agreed that it should be
contracted out but we still need to determine how to drive the process.

Key issues to be covered include the following:
1.  We need a legal entity to contract out the position.  Since the NC is
not a legal entity, we have two choices - i) Seek ICANN agreement to contact
out the position - making it clear that the position is accountable to the
NC Chair (not ICANN); or ii) Establish a trustee which can act as the legal
entity on behalf of the NC.  These are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Roger was going to seek advice from ICANN staff on this issue and clarify
their  willingness to act for the NC in this matter (maybe as NC trustee).

2.  We need to determine basic contract terms.  The proposed contract term
was for 1 year renewable.  If ICANN is to act for the NC in this matter, we
should use their standard consultancy contracts.  However, since this
contracct is likely to include some mandatory clauses relating to for eg.
insurance, public indemnity, confidentiality and Intellectual property,
these may need to be included in the job requirements.  The contract should
also include a schedule which can be adjusted to take into account any
matters specific to the successful proposer (such as location, travel and
other claimable costs, etc).  We need ICANN advice on this area.

3.  Request for Tender.  We will need to seek written proposals so thatwe
can complete a systematic and objective assessment process.  One inexpensive
approach worth considering would be to do this informally -  put the
documentation on our web site and request NC members to seek proposals.

4.  Selection process:  small committe to prepare written report on all
proposals against selection criteria, prepare short list (with more detail)
and recommendation for appointment for approval by the NC.

5.  Funding:  We have about $US20k in the bank and an offer from NSI for
$US100k to be provided as it it matched by other sponsors on a dollar for
dollar basis.
To access the NSI fnding, we need matching sponsorship.

5.  Are there any other issues you feel we need to cover/decide at this
stage?

erica