[icann-nominations] Statement of Acceptance by David W. Maher

STATEMENT OF ACCEPTANCE OF NOMINATION
1. Full name:  David W. Maher

2. E-mail address:  dwmaher@ibm.net

3. Organization you work for (if apply): Chair, Policy Oversight Committee

4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country):  c/o Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal
                                                8000 Sears Tower
                                                Chicago IL 60606
                                                USA

5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen:  North America

6. The region that includes the country in which you reside:  North America

7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination: I accept the nomination.

8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention (*)
        to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the ICANN Board:
                        I am not a Member of the Names Council

9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):

Born:         August 14, 1934, in Chicago, Illinois

Married:      Jill Armagnac Maher, December 20, 1954

Children:     Philip Armagnac Maher, born November 5, 1956
              Julia Armagnac Maher de Romero, born March 19, 1958

Education:    Harvard School for Boys, Chicago, Illinois

              Harvard College, major in Classics (Latin)
              A.B. Degree (Cum Laude), 1955

              Harvard Law School, LL.B. Degree, 1959

Served in United States Air Force as Second Lieutenant, 1955-56

Employed by law firms in Boston and New York, 1958-60

Member of the Bar:  New York; Illinois; Wisconsin; United States
Patent Office (registered Patent Attorney); U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois;
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

Associate:    Kirkland, Ellis, Hodson, Chaffetz & Masters,
              Chicago, Illinois, 1960-65

Partner:      Kirkland & Ellis, Chicago, Illinois, 1966-78

Founding Partner:  Reuben & Proctor, Chicago, Illinois 1978-86

Partner:      Isham, Lincoln & Beale, Chicago, Illinois,
              1986-1988

Partner:      Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, Chicago, Illinois,
              1988-present

Member of Chicago, Illinois, Wisconsin, American, and Federal Communications Bar Associations; Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago; American Intellectual Property Law Association; International Trademark Association; Computer Law Association; Licensing Executives Society; International Association for Artificial Intelligence and Law; and American Association for Artificial Intelligence

Practice consists primarily of matters relating to the communications, patent, copyright, trademark, computer, and entertainment fields.

Member, American Law Institute

Vice President - Public Policy, Internet Society

Chair, Internet Policy Oversight Committee

Member,  Internet International Ad Hoc Committee, 1996-1997

Member,  Convening Committee, National Conference on Electronic Publishing Standards and Formats in the Fields of Law and Accounting, National Center for Automated Information Retrieval, Washington, DC (May, 1991).

Special Counsel, American Bar Association for telecommunications matters (1988-1992).

Member,  Legal Technology Conference National Advisory Board (Price Waterhouse).

General Counsel, Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois, Inc. (Director, 1975 - 1994); Recipient, Torch of Integrity Award, 1999

Lecturer, DePaul University School of Law, 1973-79

Lecturer, Law School of Loyola University of Chicago, 1980-84

Member, Visiting Committee to the Divinity School, University of Chicago

Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation

Life Fellow, Chicago Bar Foundation

Publications

   "The Shrink-Wrap License:  Old Problems in a New Wrapper," Journal of the Copyright Society, Vol. 34, No. 3, April 1987;

     "Purity Versus Plugola:  A Study of the Federal Communications Commission's
Sponsorship Identification Rules," DePaul Law Review Vol. 23, Spring 1974, No. 3;

     "Wired:  How Isham Lincoln & Beale Plugged Into Computers," Sept. 1987 CBA Record.

      "Trademarks on the Internet: Who's in Charge?" The Data Law Report, Vol. 4, No. 1,
July, 1996.

      “Trademark Law on the Internet - Will it Scale? The Challenge to Develop International Trademark Law” The John Marshall Journal of Computer & Information Law, Vol XVI, No. 1, Fall 1997.

     10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or the reason why
         you consider you should be elected to serve in the ICANN Board
         (no more than 500 words):

        I believe that I am well qualified by background and experience to serve in the ICANN Board. My Internet experience dates back to 1994, when I was involved in the amicable resolution of one of the first domain name-trademark disputes. In 1995, I was a co-chair of the newly created Internet subcommittee of the International Trademark Association (INTA). When I was appointed to the International Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC) by the Internet Society in 1996, I had already had the privilege of getting to know Jon Postel. I am afraid that, at first, he regarded me as another one of those trademark lawyers who was out to screw up the Internet. Over a period of a year or so, I believe I helped persuade him that my intentions were honorable. He came to realize that his proposals for restructuring the domain name system would have to take account, in some way, of the interests of owners of intellectual property.
        Since 1995, I have devoted most of my time attempting to further the goals stated in the IAHC Final Report: "enhancing …use [of the domain name system] while attempting to juggle such concerns as administrative fairness, operational stability and robustness, and protection of intellectual property."
         I believe that ICANN is now basically on the right track in pursuing these goals, and that further building of consensus among all the constituencies and interest groups is the principal task of the Board.
         I do not regard myself as beholden to any particular interest group. I am a member of the American Law Institute, which prepares the Restatements of American law. One of its procedural rules (Sec. 9.04), states in part: "To maintain the Institute's reputation for thoughtful, disinterested analysis of legal issues, members are expected to leave client interests at the door. Members should speak and vote on the basis of their personal and professional convictions and experience without regard to client interests or self-interest. ...." This has always been the standard that I have adhered to in my work for professional organizations and the Policy Oversight Committee, and it is the same standard that I would adhere to in acting as a director of ICANN.