[icann-nominations] Acceptance by Jonathan Cohen of nomination for election to ICANN Board

1. Full name:  Jonathan C. Cohen

     2. E-mail address:  jcohen@shapirocohen.com

     3. Organization you work for (if apply):  Shapiro, Cohen Group of Intellectual Property Practices

     4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country): 112 Kent Street, Suite 2001, P.O. Box 3440, Station D.,Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 6P1

     5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen:  North America, citizen of Canada

     6. The region that includes the country in which you reside:  North America, resident of Canada

     7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:  I accept the nomination for election as a Director to the Board of ICANN.

     8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention (*)
        to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the ICANN Board:

I am a member of the Names Council.  If I am elected as an ICANN Board member, I will immediately resign from the Names Council.

     9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):

Curriculum Vitae of Jonathan C. Cohen

Bachelor of Arts, Sociology; Bachelor of Laws (Osgoode Hall, Toronto).
Lawyer with the Shapiro, Cohen Group in Ottawa, Canada.
Senior, Managing partner since 1984.

I am a business person, a domain name holder, an intellectual property / Internet lawyer and a private citizen.

I have three children; I play many sports; I have been involved in community affairs;  I have worked with aboriginal people in Canada, first with the Department of Indian Affairs, and then with the Inuit, on Baffin Island, through the Department of Northern Affairs; I have campaigned for several candidates in political elections in Canada, and worked for various charitable organizations.

I have lectured, taught and written extensively on intellectual property matters in many countries.  The nature of my occupation has occasioned considerable travel and the need to work with people in countries in every corner of the world, requiring a reasonable knowledge of the differences between cultures, customs and language to interact effectively internationally.

I am a member of numerous intellectual property organizations including: FICPI (Fédération des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle), its Executive Branch -CET (Commission d’Études et de Travail) in charge of Internet / domain name matters, INTA, MARQUES, ABA, AIPLA, AIPPI, LES, Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA), Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) and have participated in the organization of, or in speaking at, their meetings many times.

Since becoming involved in Internet governance reform, I have worked actively in all of facets, including the following:

1) Panel of experts member advising the Canadian government on reform of .ca;

2) Currently member of the CIRA Board (Canadian Internet Registration Authority), which is similar in its duties and mandate to the ICANN Board taking over the full management and governance of the .ca TLD;

3) Chosen as a FICPI representative, participated at the WIPO-IAHC Internet / domain name conferences in Geneva in May/September of 1997;

4) Reporting on and comment to FICPI, and WIPO on the Green and White Papers;

5) Organization of one of the first DNSO formation meetings, in Washington (September 1998), of a cross section of individuals from diverse stakeholder backgrounds.  Subsequent participation in teleconferences, and DNSO/ICANN meetings in Washington and Singapore;

6) Following Singapore, answered the ICANN Board’s call for self-formation of constituencies and initiated the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) formation process by organizing a series of three international meetings (Toronto, Wellington, New York) and working on outreach;

7) Elected as president of the IPC, and provisional Names Council (NC) member;

8) Participation at NC and IPC meetings in Berlin, San Jose and Santiago, Washington, New York and London;

9) Testified by invitation in Washington D.C. at a Congressional hearing on ICANN matters, in July, 1999;

10) Co-Chairperson of both NC WG-A (Dispute Resolution)  and B (Famous Marks);

11)Work on the Registrar’s UDRP by attending initial meeting in Washington at the invitation of WIPO, and subsequent drafting session teleconferences;

12) Attendance at WIPO E-Commerce meeting in Geneva (September, 1999)

     10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or the reason why
         you consider you should be elected to serve in the ICANN Board
         (no more than 500 words):

Statement of Jonathan C. Cohen

I originally became involved in the ICANN/DNSO process believing it to be a unique opportunity to create international understanding and cooperation.  People from every corner of the world share information and ideas on the Internet, in a manner that should accommodate the needs and hopes not only of the various stakeholders, but of ordinary women and men around the world to whom this system may mean more than just simple commerce or communication.  In particular, a “uniform dispute resolution policy” which could settle differences between parties around the world without the necessity of litigation and jurisdictional battles seemed to me, an IP lawyer, to be a most exciting goal.  If successful, a Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy could become an effective, practical, international tool for settling Internet domain name conflicts.  I am hopeful that in time, it will be utilized to resolve a broader range of Internet disputes.

Involvement in the NC/DNSO has significantly expanded my awareness of the different needs and concerns of its various stakeholders and the reasons why they are important to the respective constituents.

My profession has provided me with management experience, board experience and public speaking experience.  I have operated on the international stage throughout my career and it has been one of the most enjoyable parts of my job that I have been able to travel to so many countries and meet and work with people of very different backgrounds.  I believe it is crucial that the ICANN Board becomes an “international body”, responsive to the ideas and needs of the diverse commercial and non-commercial interests that increasingly depend upon it as an essential information system.

The system must have Integrity, Reliability and Availability.  The Board must focus on process-building even as it moves forward meeting its management challenges on a day to day basis.

A proper foundation built today will bring stability and reliability to the Internet tomorrow.

My work in DNSO and IP constituency formation, and service on the Names Council has been relevant experience that would allow me to be an effective DNSO/ICANN Board member.

If elected, I will not bring just “one” agenda to the Board.

I would bring my experience as a NC member and my knowledge as an intellectual property / Internet practitioner, my experience as a CIRA Board member, as a small business owner, and as a private citizen concerned about the issues of privacy, fairness and openness.

If I am elected as Board member, I will represent the DNSO - all its constituencies, regardless of whose votes I receive or do not receive.  I believe that ICANN Board members must make themselves aware of the needs and concerns of the General Assembly, all the constituencies of the DNSO and other Supporting Organizations, and must be capable of making fair, objective, practical and sometimes, tough decisions.   I am capable of performing this task.

I relish the possible opportunity to address the multi-faceted and complex issues which will surely face this Board.