[icann-nominations]

[icann-nominations] [Fwd: accept or decline nomination to ICANN Board (fwd)] (fwd)

"Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM" wrote:

>    1. Full name of the nominee: Alejandro Pisanty (legal name in Mexico
> Alejandro Pisanty Baruch; Pisanty is the "main" family name compliant with
> naming rules in other countries, it being the patronimic)
>    2. E-mail address of the nominee: apisan@servidor.unam.mx
>    3. Organization you work for (if apply): UNAM, Universidad Nacional
> Autonoma de Mexico
>    4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country):
>
> Work:
>
> Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
> DGSCA-UNAM
> Av. Universidad 3000
> 0510 Mexico DF
> Mexico
>
> Home (private, only for Secretariat):
>
> Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
> Ocaso 58-802
> Insurgentes Cuicuilco
> 04530 Mexico DF
> Mexico
>
>    5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen:
> Latin America and the Caribbean
>
>    6. The region that includes the country in which you reside: Latin
> America and the Caribbean
>

>    7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:
>
> I accept the nomination made of my person to the election as a member of
> the Board of Directors of ICANN, to be made through its Domain Name
> Supporting Organization's Names Council.
>
>    8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention
>       to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the
>       ICANN Board:
>
> Not applicable
>
>    9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):
>
> Alejandro Pisanty was educated with a B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Chemistry
> in the National University of Mexico (UNAM), and a postdoctoral stay in
> the Max-Planck-Institut for Solid-State Research in Stuttgart, Germany.
> His original field is theoretical chemistry and solid-state physics, in
> which he developed comptences in computing, supercomputing, and networks.
>
> A Professor in the Facultad de Quimica of UNAM, Alejandro Pisanty has
> created

> the Laboratory of Computational Chemistry, been

> in charge of the Advisory Council on Computing for UNAM, Head of Open and
> Distance Education, and Head of Academic Computing Services in the same
> University, which is the main higher-education institution in Mexico. His
> professional responsibilities related to policy in technological
> activities started formally in 1989.

> Through his job in the Academic
> Computing Services he has headed the largest academic network of Latin
> America, created the National Videoconferencing Network for Education,

> serviced academic, government, non-governmental, and private

> organizations, spearheaded the Internet-2 effort of Mexico (now fully
> functional), introduced innovative services, and interacted with
> significant national projects such as the National Development Plan in
> Informatics and the e-Mexico project, as well as the 1997 and 2000 Federal
> [...]

As a byproduct, his unit produced a CD-ROM for training elections observers
for the
United Nations elections unit.

> Alejandro is also Chair of Sociedad Internet de Mexico, A.C., recognized
> as the Mexican chapter of the Internet Society. Combining his ISOC and his
> UNAM activity,

he acted as local organizer and coordinated the funding for the Network
Training Workshops
for Latin America and the Caribbean (known as WALC 2000) in Mexico City, in
2000.

> Alejandro is a member of the Board of Directors of ICANN, selected through
> the DNSO, Vice-Chair of the Board in the periods 2000-2001 and 2001-2002,
> and Chair of the Committee for ICANN Evolution and Reform.
>
>   10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or
>       the reason why you consider you should be elected to serve
>       in the ICANN Board (no more than 500 words):

I hereby formally accept the nomination made for me as a candidate for the
Board of Directors of ICANN through the DNSO’s Names Council. I consider this
nomination an honor and also a responsibility and a challenge.

I have now been almost three years a Director; part of that time I have been
Vice-Chair of the Board, and Chair of the Committee on Evolution and Reform.
Previously and during this period I have been an active member of the
Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency, representing the National
University of Mexico and (without vote) Sociedad Internet de Mexico.

During this period I have striven to actively promote the basic agenda of
ICANN, of private-sector coordination of centrally coordinated parameters of
the Internet, striven to keep ICANN focused on a narrowly defined mission, and
striven to input into its decisions a broad, fair-minded, rational,
international view. I took part  in the At Large election effort in 2000,  the
DNSO Review, and many other DNSO and ICANN activities, and have tried to
extract long-lasting, wide-ranging lessons from them and to apply them as soon
as possible to the ongoing actions of ICANN. Finally, I have worked hard on
the ICANN reform process over the last several months.

The responsibility I see in building an effective ICANN, able to deliver
promptly in the often contentious atmosphere from which it must identify
consensus, search for the way to proceed which most benefits the Internet
community even in the face of loud debate, and balance conflicting needs,
interests, and principles. Little is said explicitly in the original founding
principles of ICANN of the need to keep action effective and decisions
rational, in addition to the often-stressed principles of transparency,
accountability, and bottom-up consensus building.

The challenge that lies ahead starts with the completion of the present cycle
of ICANN Evolution and Reform, the fulfillment of the conditions for the
transfer to ICANN of its full set of responsibilities and a proportional
capacity to perform them, and the fulfillment of the unique private-sector
coordination it has been assigned, in complement to national laws,
international treaties, and the many boundaries we find in the collision
between our dearly utopian cyberspace and the harsh realities of the rest of
the real world.

If I am chosen to continue to serve on the ICANN Board, I offer to commit my
best effort to the service of our community, listening broadly and acting
decisively and prudently, to assess failures and strive to correct them, and
to continue building the fair and novel edifice of ICANN.

> Acceptances will be archived at:
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/icann-nominations/Arc02/

   1. Full name of the nominee: Alejandro Pisanty (legal name in Mexico
Alejandro Pisanty Baruch; Pisanty is the "main" family name compliant with
naming rules in other countries, it being the patronimic)
   2. E-mail address of the nominee: apisan@servidor.unam.mx
   3. Organization you work for (if apply): UNAM, Universidad Nacional
Autonoma de Mexico
   4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country):

Work:

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
DGSCA-UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000
0510 Mexico DF
Mexico

Home:

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Ocaso 58-802
Insurgentes Cuicuilco
04530 Mexico DF
Mexico

   5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen:
Latin America and the CAribbean

   6. The region that includes the country in which you reside: Latin
America and the Caribbean
   7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:

I accept the nomination made of my person to the election as a member of
the Board of Directors of ICANN, to be made through its Domain Name
Supporting Organization's Names Council.

   8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention
      to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the
      ICANN Board:

Not applicable

   9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):

Alejandro Pisanty was educated with a B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Chemistry
in the National University of Mexico (UNAM), and a postdoctoral stay in
the Max-Planck-Institut for Solid-State Research in Stuttgart, Germany.
His original field is theoretical chemistry and solid-state physics, in
which he developed comptences in computing, supercomputing, and networks.

A Professor in the Facultad de Quimica of UNAM, Alejandro Pisanty has been
in charge of the Advisory Council on Computing for UNAM, Head of Open and
Distance Education, and Head of Academic Computing Services in the same
University, which is the main higher-education institution in Mexico. His
professional responsibilities related to policy in technological
activities started formally in 1989. Through his job in the Academic
Computing Services he has headed the largest academic network of Latin
America, serviced academic, government, non-governmental, and private
organizations, spearheaded the Internet-2 effort of Mexico (now fully
functional), introduced innovative services, and interacted with
significant national projects such as the National Development Plan in
Informatics and the e-Mexico project.

Alejandro is also Chair of Sociedad Internet de Mexico, A.C., recognized
as the Mexican chapter of the Internet Society.

Alejandro is a member of the Board of Directors of ICANN, selected through
the DNSO, Vice-Chair of the Board in the periods 2000-2001 and 2001-2002,
and Chair of the Committee for ICANN Evolution and Reform.

  10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or
      the reason why you consider you should be elected to serve
      in the ICANN Board (no more than 500 words):

ICANN is an innovative and ongoing experiment in bringing together people
and organizations from all over the world, for the specific purpose of
coordinating a minimal but vital set of resources of the Internet, viz.
the parameters that need have unique values in the DNS, IP addressing and
record of protocol parameter values. The apparently simple actions
required in the operation of this coordination originate, in turn, a
number of decisions which must be made with knowledge and perception both
of the technology and of the possible and actual social implications.

Today's challenge is keeping ICANN's mission and action narrowly
constrained while at the same time basing it on views which are the
broadest and best-informed possible. Further, this balance is made more
complex by the coexistence of the competing needs for efficacy,
efficiency, transparency, accountability, and bottom-up participation by a
universe of stakeholders with varying degrees of "grip" and effect.

The reform process undertaken in ICANN has the purpose of responding to
the above complex set of questions with wide participation of the ICANN
community, forging new or renewed relationships with the stakeholders, and
balancing the very diverse sets of principles and interests present.

For me taking part in this process as Chair of the ERC has been a
continuing challenge and an opportunity to serve a broad, worldwide
community. If elected I intend to continue this work, whether as Chair of
the ERC or in any other capacity, guided by values of rationality,
fairness, openness, and, every time the occasion arises, decisiveness.
Sensitivity to the various cultures (geographically originated and other),
the need for ICANN to be internationally established, and the openness of
ICANN to the changing conditions of a moment in which our more-utopian
views of cyberspace collide with a world in which greed, self-interest,
borders, traditional laws and forms of conflict creation and resolution
have not ceased to exist delineate the challenge.

I can state no more about my capacities and willingness to face this
challenge than what I have done to date - not promises, only my work,
stand now for me.

Alejandro Pisanty

Acceptances will be archived at:
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/icann-nominations/Arc02/