[icann-nominations]

[icann-nominations] acceptance

1. Full name of the nominee:

    Jean-François C. (Jefsey) Morfin

2. E-mail address of the nominee:

    jefsey@wanadoo.fr

3. Organization you work for (if apply):

    UTEL

4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country):

   Centre Siat,
    4 B rue de la Ceinture
    78000 Versailles
    France

5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen:

    Europe

6. The region that includes the country in which you reside:

   Europe

7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:

   I accept the nomination

8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the ICANN Board:

   I am not a Member of the NC.

9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):

I entered the French Naval Academy in 1965. An accident made me to leave the Navy in 1974 as a communication officer while I was to enter the State Administration. I switched to Business Administration and SME development. In 1978 I joined Tymnet (the first public US packet switch service) to pioneer the US international packet switch relations with Europe, Middle East and Far East PTTs (95% of the US international public X.75 traffic of the time).

As the head of Tymnet Extended Services (international, Minitel studies, smart international services, public services information data base, technology exchange with foreign manufacturers/operators) I built the X.121 addressing scheme for our US service and for 30 countries, participated in CCITT (now ITU/T) and started PTT biyearly meetings much like ICANN. For our marketing strategy I shaped the T/ES model integrating the ISO model within user operations.

After McDonnell Douglas purchased Tymnet I became a "venture technicalist". I run since 1987 a network business technical and financial investment practice. I engineer start-up projects (concepts, software, and incorporation), validate them through real operations and sales, sell them and stay as a consultant. After Satellite, Minitel and Fax projects, I am now fully dedicated to Internet ventures.

I am not a true programmer but I extended QNX into a real time multi-user Minitel Server OS, and I enjoy developing a powerful Linux remote server Window supervisor. I am familiar with international relations, policy making and e-lobbying in our field.

We needed some innovative DNS services the ICANN innovation freezing prevented us to get. This obliged us to prepare our own TLDs (in strict application of the RFC 920) and then our own root. I hope it is a patch until ICANN fulfils plainly its mission in these areas. It gives me a clear vision of the real world, of the reality of the Internet, of the real possibilities of the BIND system. And of some real problems: TLD squatting, digital divide, public demand, various possible DN types, new forms of cooperation, new DNS related services, new conceptions of the Internet, governance development, etc.

I was an @large candidate and I chair france@large, an association we incorporated with the majority of the French @large candidates. I moderate several lists including icann-fra (in French). I support the IDNO efforts for Registrants and Individual Users representation. I am a Member of the DNSO/BC as an SME, of the NonCom and I asked to join the IPC.

I created the small world@wide foundation to foster common interest efforts, e-human rights research, endeavors against the international digital divide. It provides synergy coordination and limited donated support and secretariat services.

I was born in 1944. My wife Françoise just decided to take some serious training at Internet stuff. I got three kids. One is no more but present to all of us. One is on the DNSO/GA and quite interested in DNS issues, the other plays classical piano faster than I type in Frenglish on my keyboard.

10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or the reason why you consider you should be elected to serve in the ICANN Board (no more than 500 words):

I have a very simple vision of the Internet:  our free consensus to use the TCP/IP protocol set, the IP addressing plan and the Domain Name System.

To me the DNS is a continuation in the virtual world of the geographical and of the postal naming plans. We freely name our virtual domains and register them as part of the top level TLD of our choice, on a first come, first serve basis. TLD Managers are our delegated trustees.

As a trustees' trustee the ICANN is to share in supporting the common infrastructure. This means maintaining three registers - protocols, IP blocks and USG root TLDs - and operating the USG Root. These are the IANA functions  purchased from the USG for less than $10.000.

This mission should be carried in a simple, cheap, transparent and stable way by a reduced Staff under the direction of a BoD composed of 9 Members from SOs (netwide infrastructure concerns), 9 Members from @large (user interests - 5 on a geographical and 4 on a specialized basis) and one for the Staff. Bylaws, corporation policies and budget should be approved by a General Assembly made of the National (NICs) and of TLD Registrants Communities.

Decisions process and internal dialog at every level should use the same online management system (to be devised) providing adequate visibility and understanding to everyone.

As internal consulting structures benefiting from participants' expertise, support organizations should be multi-lingual and funded by the ICANN. A Legal SO is missing. Internet  Users, Registrants and DNS developers should be represented at the same level as Registries and Registrars. A Consummation Advisory Committee should be created. Business representation should be more structured.

The ICANN should review its policy to :

-       cooperate with ITU, industries and Governments over the IP addressing plan: mistakes would impact  increasingly over time the network speed, innovation ability and costs.

-       coordinate with every serious root for a stable and collision free name space through Best Practices, anti TLD squatting TLD recognition criteria and a cost compensation scheme by TLDs b- so it has the budget it needs.

-       leave TLD groups (gTLD, ccTLDs, TLDA, etc.) coordinate TLD issues such as Registrars relations, TLD Manager conflict assistance, etc

-       assume control and better geographical distribution of the USG root server galaxy.

-       help consensus over true and every IP rights long range protection

-       rebuild the UDRP as public online hearings by a randomly selected user jury mainly considering the confusion created to the users, addressing the "famous" TM issue in a pragmatic and positive way.

-       stop confusing its infrastructure-oriented duties and structural issues (any other than above). These should be served through secretariat services permitting a good coordination and never confused with any "governance" mandate it never received.

There are the bureaucratic Internet by the ICANN Staff, the commercial Internet by Registries and the real Internet by the source code. IMHO only the later may foster competition by innovation and address our expectations.

Position link: http://jefsey.com