Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

I respectfully disagree and remind Bill that there are non-trademark issues
involved every so often.  How about mere consumer protection?  Certainly in
the commercial sphere the identity of a merchant should not be anonymous
and there are strong policy arguments for full disclosure.  If someone has
to contact a registrar each time they want to verify the identity of a
vendor on the web (and "justify" a valid need), it would have a chilling
effect on ecommerce.  And the registrars don't want to field these calls,
right?

If it's an anti-Pinochet website, that's another story, which is why these
policies should be flexible.