Re: [ga] The North American DNSO BoD chair

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 11:24:15AM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:

> On 13 October 1999, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com> wrote:
> >
> >In Karl's particular case, it is the candidate himself who was
> >engaged in "nomination stuffing".
>
> [...snip]
>
> Then the NC itself is guilty of this.  The Secretariat of the NC
> sent out an announcement on 17 Sep 1999, that began:

The NC is not a candidate, stuffing its own nomination.

[...]

> In short, the NC via their Secretariat urged the NC members themselves
> to go to each Constituency and do exactly what Karl did.

Do you understand the following distinction:

Case 1: I offer to pay everyone who votes a dollar, regardless of who
they vote for.

Case 2: I offer to pay everyone who votes for me a dollar.

>  Why did
> Karl do it?  Because ICANN steadfastly refuses to recognize any form
> of an individual domain name owner's constituency.

To tell you the truth, I think it was because he wanted to be
elected.

> Further, the messsage stated:
>
>         The Names Council has resolved that a candidate, in order to
>         be nominated must have the support of, at least, 10 members
>         of the General Assembly. For this purpose, anybody who is
>         subscribed to the General Assembly mailing list, the
>         Announce mailing list or the list of one of the
>         Constituencies of the DNSO is considered a member of the
>         General Assembly. As the Annouce and General Assembly list
>         are open, anybody wishing to participate in the nomination
>         process may subscribe to one of these lists and be
>         considered a member of the General Assembly.
>
> ...here, the Secretariat explicitly directs people to subscribe to the
> GA list, then participate in the vote.  This is exactly what you're
> accusing Karl of, except that Karl knew he was a candidate, and
> was requesting support for himself.

Except for the fact that I took some money from a bank at gunpoint,
I'm just like a little old lady cashing her pension check.

> Most people call this "campaigning".

Fine line between "campaigning" and "buying votes".

But your whole argument is based on a misunderstanding of my point.

It struck me as odd that those who opposed Rick White's nomination
process also believe that the support given to Karl is some kind of
mandate.

It is in fact *you* who complained that people joining the GA list
to support a candidate was a problem.  I took that fact, and noticed
that Karl had engaged in precisely the same thing.  Yet you advocate
that Karl has a some kind of election mandate from the nomination
process, despite being tainted by the processes you claim to
despise.  Furthermore, you have made great hay about strict
adherence to procedure.

My personal views have not even been discussed -- the whole thread
has been concerning the internal contradictions in your views.

Just for the record, here are my views on the subject: It is clear
that any member of a constituency should be able to nominate or
support candidates for the board, regardless of membership in a
mailing list.  Membership in a mailing list was a convenient rule of
thumb, but it shouldn't be slavishly followed, because after all,
this is ONLY A NOMINATION.