Re: [ga] The North American DNSO BoD chair

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 09:08:45AM -0800, Ellen Rony wrote:
> Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> >Please note that potentially similar actions on the part of Rick
> >White's supporters have been heavily criticized, with at least one
> >person stating that the election should be invalidated if Mr White
> >was elected.   By that same reasoning, of course, the election would
> >have to be invalidated if Karl were elected.
>
> This is an inaccurate statement.  All candidates supporters must be
> verified but it doesn't follow that all nominees would be invalidated.
> Those who failed to receive 10 qualified support statements should have
> their candidacy invalidated.

In Karl's particular case, it is the candidate himself who was
engaged in "nomination stuffing".

[...]

> >Yes.  I am motivated by the attempt by Karl to pack the nominations
> >by getting a large number of people to join the GA solely to support
> >him.
>
> This claim is unsupportable.

Don't be silly.  Karl's email message requesting members of the IDNO
to join the GA and support him is archived at

   http://list.idno.org/archives/idno-discuss.archive.9909/0321.html

Given the irregularities in the IDNO, there is a fair probability
that the message will be removed or altered, so I would look quickly
(I will reproduce it below -- you can check my reproduction for
accuracy.)

> Karl has been a long and active participant
> in these discussions and has broad support because of his interesting blend
> of legal training and technical expertise.  OTOH, I learned that a
> nominator of one of the candidates joined a constituency on the last day
> that nominations could be submitted and an active campaign to flush out
> support for that nominee immediately ensued.

That is *precisely* what Karl was asking people to do.

> What would you suggest the Names Council do, Kent, if we learned after the
> elections that one of the new ICANN board members actually didn't meet the
> nomination criteria?  There's always time to do things over but never time
> to do them right!

I don't know, Ellen -- what would you suggest we do if we discovered
that one of the candidates deliberately tried to rig the nomination
process?

Here is Karl's email message, pasted directly from the idno archive:

[IDNO-DISCUSS] My nomination in the GA

Karl Auerbach (karl@cavebear.com)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:33:46 -0700 (PDT)