[ga] Re: [IFWP] Rick White's nomination -- Newsbytes report

Resending this because I had addressed it incorrectly yesterday.
Apologies, since I referenced it in a later message.

Mark c. Langston wrote:

>Newsbytes is reporting that at least 5 of the people supporting Rick
>White's nomination as a candidate for the ICANN BoD are NOT members of
>the DNSO.

Newsbytes is wrong because the article references only the GA list.
According to the NC resolution,  dated September 17:

"The Names Council has resolved that a candidate, in order to be nominated
must have the support of, at least, 10 members of the General Assembly. For
this purpose, anybody who is subscribed to the General Assembly mailing
list, the Announce mailing list or the list of one of the Constituencies of
the DNSO is considered a member of the General Assembly."
(http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19990917.DNSO-ICANN-nominations.html)

Five supporters can be confirmed from the GA list.The nominator and another
supporter are apparently members of a constituency, the former joining the
day he placed White's name in nomination.  However,  I do not assume that
becoming a member of a constituency is the same as subscribing to its list.
Nonetheless, that still leaves three names in question, and if two of those
do not qualify, White cannot be considered a valid candidate.

This issue isn't about a particular candidate but rather about a process
proscribed by the Names Council resolution.
I just don't understand why the DNSO Secretariat did not confirm these
nominations before the voting began.  The subscription information could
have, should have been archived or the NC could have, should have run a
"who" check daily on the ga and ga-announce lists.  The constituencies
should have been asked to supply the dates of its list subscribers.

I wrote to every Names Council member inquiring into this process, as well
as to the DNSO Secretariat.  To date, no one has responded to my query, and
the Names Council voting proceeds.

>Article is at:
>
>http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/99/137686.html

Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author		       ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1 (415) 435-5010    	       (oo) -^--                     ISBN 0879305150
Tiburon, CA                        W   W               erony@marin.k12.ca.us
	   DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age