[ga] Re: Coments about proposal of modifications/additions to origin al drafts

kathy and all,

KathrynKL@aol.com wrote:

> Roberto wrote:
> > What about the other pending point, i.e. whether we accept "observership" in
> >  the constituency? It seemed to me that we had sufficient consensus about
> it.
> >

> I certainly think that the following groups fall within the "members without
> voting status," with full participation in discussion:
> - chapters or other subgroups where the parent organization has joined
> - chapters or other subgroups where another chapter or subgroup has been
> chosen as the voting representative for the entire group (assuming the parent
> did not choose to join)

  This if course is practically useless...

> But organizations that are part of another constituency and want to "observe"
> in the NCDNHC?  I see problems with this -- mostly from the perspective that
> a participant from another constituency could be very influential in shaping
> an issue that we are discussing and trying to form a decision on.  Coming in
> from outside, with another constituency's points and persuasive information,
> might really sway our own discussions.

  Again this is the basic nature of constituencies in general, and as such
I fail to see this a potential problem.  In fact the contrary, it is one of the
few
advantages of a constituency model.

> Let me ask:  Are other constituencies allowing observers?

  Yes the IDNO is...  And rightfully so, as it should be.

> How involved are
> the "observers" allowed to be in the constituency's discussion?  Is there a
> way to distinguish comments of the constituency members from those of the
> observers?

  Why should there be?  As a member of the stakeholder community
and in accordance with the White Paper and the MoU this is a
basic requirement.  Not distinction need be made as long a they
are stakeholders.

> Thanks,
> Kathy Kleiman
>
> ---