RE: [ga] Preliminary report on the NC June 25th meeting

In that case, we shouldn't host the calls out of France, too expensive.

There are various options. One is to simply host the calls out of the
US. But the MOST important option is to use the Internet Phone
technology. Aren't we an Internet tech group?

MHSC has offices in Colorado and California. I spend 3-4 hours, in
InternetPhone conferences, per day. Were that done through normal
telephony lines it would cost $600US to $1200US per month.

The technology works, I use it every day, both MS-NetMeeting and
InternetPhone (dependant on who is on the other end). I even do it
through SSH encrypted tunnels (DES3 and Blowfish), as a normal modus
operandi, if privacy and authentication were an issue. The only
limitation is that links less than 56Kbps are a littel crackley (static)
and the slower links have a high degree of latency. IOW, it works
through a modem but you have to live with some caching delays and packet
loss.

MS-Netmeeting even does video conferencing and it is available for free
download, from Microsoft. However, it does require more bandwidth on
part of the conference host (anyone out there with a 1Mbps connection to
spare?).

We have the technology, let's USE it!