ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga] Re: Feedback on iesg-charter-01 comments and iesg-procedures-00

Michael and all,

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> This is a very Good Thing.  Wish I'd had it to read when I was trying to
> sort out institutional relationships.  This will be especially useful to
> those like me whose participation is entirely online and thus can't pick
> this stuff up by osmosis at meetings.
>
> 2 small things:
>
> RE: "This memo gives a charter for the Internet Engineering Steering Group
>    (IESG), a management function of the Internet Engineering Task Force
>    (IETF)."

  Interesting.  Just not but a month ago I believe it was Harald that
stated there was not connection between the IESG and the IETF...
Of course Harald was being deceitful in that post, which I have
archives somewhere...  So I got a bit of a laugh out of this
comment here Michael...  >;)

> Possible substitutes for "management function"
>
> agent
> agency
> dependency
> parasite  :>
>
> or, perhaps  better yet,
>
> ....the IESG, a committee of experienced IETF members whom the ITEF at
> large relies on to manage the standards process.

  This is a little bothersome of concerning.  Seems to be that Working
groups in particular areas of standards tracking is managed by the
WG members and/or chair...

> On another issue, I too am confused about the reference to IANA.  Who'se
> doing what to whom?  There isn't an IANA rep listed at
> http://www.iesg.org/iesg.html#members or at
> http://www.iesg.org/ietf/1ietf-liaisons.txt.

  Well a direct connection is seemingly now wanted to be documented.
This is fairly common for both the IANA and the IETF in particular...
It's a sort of  "Club" thing... >;)   But indeed interesting that you took
particular notice, Michael...  >;)

>  As IANA is now ICANN's black
> box, its least transparent aspect, my antennae are quivering.  Perhaps a
> URL for the new version will sort me out...

  ROLFMAO!  Yeah perhaps!  >;)

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>

> > > IESG as a function is correct, although the term
> > > management entity is more intuitive to me.  I guess one
> > > could say that the IESG really is a function, however:
> > > RFC_t r = IESG_Evaluate(ID_t i);
> >
> > it's got more functions than that :-)
> > "entity" is one of those words I really detest, because it's one of the
> > words that people seem to be able to twist into any meaning they want. I
> > chose "function" to emphasize that the IESG only exists because of the
> > IETF; it has no independent existence. Are there other opinions/guidelines
> > on what word to use?
> >

> --
>                 Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> +1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
>                         -->It's cool here.<--

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801