ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

[ga] RE: WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

Considering the fact that you would hardly ever be accidentally sending
mailboms, that is not a very valid point.
Furthermore, only the person running the mailserver can do "anything"
about that, whether you like it or not.
Therefore the knowledge of your homeaddress and phonenumber are
irrelevant.

I furthermore state that there are many reasons why your county clerk
example does not hold any validity either, the least one being that such
records are limited and that you can not simply request all landowners
of the state of New York for free should you so desire, let allone the
whole of the USA and the whois database has more entries then the USA
has citizens.

Privacy however is the main reason why it should not be "public" and any
analogy with "brick & mortar" life as for access-rights should imo
definitely be made. After all IP constituencies can not simply access
all data there and have no reason of law-enforcement to access that
data. It has been long established that such cases in the "brick &
mortar" world need more then just opening up a database, there is no
reason to change that on the internet.

Privacy laws in several countries (most of the EU f.i.) and also in the
USA (Ca) are becoming more and more aware of this problem and are
getting more and more restrictive (thank whoever).

There is not 1 valid reason why "every Tom Dick & Harry" should have
access to your personal details such as your restricted phonenumber and
home address, you can try, but until today noone has succeeded in
finding one.

The argument that "in the USA we...whatever" holds no credit either
since the internet is a lot more then just the USA.

Whois was never meant to be used as it is today, and the problems
arising from that current usage are far bigger then most realize, Spam
being just a very small proportion of it.

I for one offer my clients registration in my name to protect their
data, for free.

With kind regards

Abel Wisman

===========================

Information in this electronic mail message is confidential and may be
privileged.

It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by
anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient any
use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is prohibited
and may be unlawful.

Any attachment has been checked for viruses, but please rely on your own
virus checker and procedures.

If you contact us by email we will store your name and address to
facilitate communications.

=========================

Able Towers and Able Consultancy are tradenames of Moordata Ltd.

2 Brickett Close
Ruislip
Middlesex
HA4 7YE