RE: [ga] Ah Here is the New TLDs Evaluation Process...

Roberto,
A personal opinion is no substitute for a proper answer. In this case, an
ICANN Director has patronized the complainant by expressing sympathy, but in
the same breath has absolved himself absolutely from taking any
responsibility for actually doing anything about it, citing "personal
opinion". This does absolutely nothing to answer the very serious questions
raised in Richard's position paper about the TLD Evaluation process, which
adversely effects failed applicants to the sum of several hundreds of
thousands of dollars. The point is, what are the ICANN Director's proposing
to do about it apart from express personal opinions?

> I see the benefit of reading the personal opinion of Mr. Palage
> (of course,
> in stating this I talk in my personal capacity, not as Interim
> ALAC Member
> ;>), and therefore I will not engage the ALAC position on the
> matter, if you
> allow me to do so). The alternative is to stop communicating altogether:
> what will be the benefit, and for whom?

No, the choice is not simply giving personal opinions, or not communicating
at all. For goodness sake, you people have been appointed to positions of
responsibility. You are answerable to the community, and that means
justifying polices that have been imposed from the top down with more than a
"personal opinion". Expecting an official response from an ICANN Director is
not an unreasonable expectation, and what's weird is that you seem to think
the ALAC and ICANN Board can dictate terms that more often than not go
completely against community consensus, then distance yourself from failures
that result.

> Incidentally, this is not the only forum available to the public, and
> Michael did not call any press conference, he was only kind enough to
> provide an opinion on an issue raised by a member of this mailing list.

> Maybe things should be put in the right perspective...

Yes, I think I've done that now.
Joanna