RE: [ga] 4th Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses Barcelona.com Deci sion

In the US, at least, we're approaching this question pretty much the way
we do a standard jurisdictional analysis: as we move away from the
superficial active/passive distinction and go to a fuller, more
traditional, apporach, we try to figure out the intent of the party from
the circumstantial evidence (are they seeking to 'avail themselves' of the
target jurisdiction market or laws). In most cases it's not hard; in
marginal cases it is very hard, but nothing's perfect.

If there is local presence, it's very easy.

If they are sending goods or services into the jurisdiction for
compensation knowingly, it's easy.

If they are targeting ads to the jurisdiction, it's pretty easy.

If they are selling intangibles (e.g. downloaded software) without worrying
about where it's going, and substantial quantities of it are going into
the jurisdiction, we say it's easy on the 'really should have known'
theory if nothing else.

If the sales are negligible it might be hard, but it's clear from
non-Internet cases that a very small number of sales won't create general
jurisdiction.

If there are no sales, just exchanges of information, there probably isn't
jurisdiction other than for libel.  The issue of trademark doesn't arise
here since it's rare to have "in commerce" activities without sales,
though it might be logically possible.  (I say this with less confidence
than all the above, as I've not looked recently at the case law, and some
of the cases I know of are confused on this issue.)

I'm sure Michael Geist could explain it better.