Re: [ga] Re: Even Handed Application of The Rules (Yes or No? - We shall see) (was Re: [ga] Posting rights of Jeff Williams suspended for 14 days).

At 08:30 a.m. 15/05/2003, Karl Auerbach wrote:

>When a person is banned from the one single forum in all of icann-dom that
>is open to the public, then banning him/her is a condemnation to a realm
>of silence.

This is why I believe that it is essential that  multiple fora are maintained.

<snip>

>Again, I disagree.  Censorship occurs when a person (or entity) choses to
>exclude a speaker from a forum or mode of communication.

And if this process is democratically and transparently controlled it can
be, if the result is  restraint rather than exclusion, quite acceptable.
There are  privately provided fora.   A filter, Rules, or the trouble and
responsibility taken by volunteer moderators,  can be added value.
Mailing lists of Working Groups that need work to get done, need that added
value.
A volunteer list owner has the right and the freedom to provide it.

List subscribers have the freedom  to subscribe to the list whose rules
they agree with.

Many of you have experienced the censorship of the bully, the poster who
posts everyday, dominating a list with venom and sarcasm, accusations and
innuendo , arrogantly putting others down , trolling for emotional response
or succeeding  to silence the targets by flaming them away for good.
I have seen scores of good people driven off mailing lists by this method.

It is not called censorship, but it is.

-joop-