Re: My comment - Was Re: [ga] On the ALAC's Request for Comments

Karl and all fellow members or other interested parties,

  Excellent comments, remarks and suggestions here Karl.

  We {INEGroup] as you know have been on record for some time
as  to transparency and openness as well that is equitable to any
and all Stakeholders/users or Interested parties as laid out in the
original MoU as well at the White Paper.  Hence you last suggestion
is well taken.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > ...and the things we still have to do (such as getting
> > the archival of comments up and running).
>
> Because the apparently is no place for people to view the comments, here's
> what I sent in...
>
>                 --karl--
>
> This message contains various items, all of which concern the "Proposed
> Criteria and Accreditation Process for At-Large Structures, and Proposed
> Guidelines for Regional At-Large Organizations' (RALOs) Memorandum of
> Understanding (MOU) with ICANN Draft for Public Comment 9 April 2003".
>
> First: Where is the public posting of the comments?  It appears that it
> has not been established.
>
> Without there being public posting of comments *while* the discussion
> period is open there is no ability for the development of ideas through
> the exchange of ideas.  Without the public being able to see the postings
> as they occur the whole idea of informed public comment is crippled, if
> not rendered a mockery.
>
> Second: The first point under "Proposed minimum criteria for an At-Large
> Structure (ALS)" says "...relates to ICANN's technical management
> responsibilities for the Internet's domain name and address system..."
>
> I find this linkage of an ALS to "technical" matters to be disingenuous -
> ICANN rarely, if ever, deals with technical matters.  ICANN is primarily a
> body that deals with legal, social, economic, and business regulatory
> matters that have no meaningful relationship to any technical matter
> whatsoever.
>
> None of ICANN's other "stakeholders" are obligated to demonstrate that
> their concerns or representative organizations arise out of a technical
> foundation.  This completely artifical limitation of a "technical"
> relationship should not be imposed on those of the internet community or
> upon any organizations they chose to represent their views.
>
> Third:  Worthy as many of the criteria are (such as the requirement that
> ALS's disclose funding to reveal any conflicts), no similar criteria are
> imposed on ICANN's other "stakeholders".  Unless and until such criteria
> are imposed equally on all other ICANN "stakeholders" and their
> constituent organizations it is unfair to impose these conditions on those
> in the internet community or upon any organizations they chose to
> represent their views.
>
>                 --karl--
>                 Karl Auerbach
>                 Elected Director for North America
>                 Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
>                 (ICANN)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801