Re: [ga] Evolution of the Cartel

Danny - We have (and I am sure you have) seen this coming for a long time.

ICANN is nothing more than a monopoly supporting organization that uses the
excuse that the namespace needs "regulation" as a pretense for shutting other
TLD operators out of their monopolistic cartel.

Internet Citizens are best served by open competition. The more choices that
are available to people, the more there is a chance that they can get out from
under draconian rules and regulations. If users don't like a certain set of rules,
they need to be able to take their business elsewhere. Soon, market forces will
cause those merchants who have non-sense rules to either change or die.

Monpolies shut out fair competiton and do not let this process of "competitive
natural selection" work.

Once upon a time, we had only three real TLDs and one entity that was both
the registry and registrar. Then along came ICANN with open competition at
the retail level. Now internet citizens can register domains at a number of
retailers.

It is now time to move on further down the road of progress

ICANN has created a set of nonsense rules that it claims are "neccessary" for the
orderly operation of the namespace. In reality, most of these rules are not
neccessary and further examination of these rules expose their true meaning: TO SHUT
OUT OTHER REGISTRY/TLD OPERATORS FROM BEING ABLE TO OPERATE
IN THE INDUSTRY.

ICANN is a cartel of monopolists. These monopolists are the for-profit entities that operate
the current gTLD registries (I dont need to name them - you all know who they are). In
addition to this, they have allowed WIPO to use the domain registration system as a
mechanism to police its narrow special interests (to support rich intellectual property
holders) with the UDRP which everyone knows is just a mechanism by which rich
interests can steal domains from poor people (those who dont have the millions to
fight them off with litigation).

Most members of the Inclusive Namespace do not support imposing any such rules on
people. We beleive that market forces will take care of matters and intellectual property
issues have NO PLACE in the domain registration process.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but people don't seem to listen: ICANN's
monopoly is just an illusion. All you have to do is make ONE 2-second setting change
on your computer and they have lost all power over you.

ISP's - just replace your root.cache file and all of your customers can be free as well.

The TLDA has been somewhat dormant because not enough people BELEIVE in the
POSSIBILITY of change. They don't think that it is possible and therefore they don't try.

Anyone who wants to be a part of TLDA and help spread the word, just join the TLDA's
public discussion list at http://mail.tlda.net/mailman/listinfo/public. There isn't much going on
now - like I said - most people are unbeleivers.

Remember: ICANN'S MONOPOLY IS JUST AN ILLUSION THAT EACH AND
EVERY INTERNET USER CAN BREAK INSTANTLY BY CHANGING THEIR
DNS SETTINGS.

John Palmer
Chairman - TLDA Board of Directors.
www.tlda.net