[ga] WIPO recommendations on IGOs and Country Names

Title: Help
While I understand the desire to "control" sites that resolve to the name of a sovereign state, I still regard this as a matter of "control" - part of a process which closes down the variety and freedoms of the net.

For example, here in UK we have a long-established supermarket chain called Iceland. They're legitimate, they're trademarked, they are bona fide.

It does not seem just to me that they will be excluded from using or acquiring the name Iceland.[various endings] if they wish to use the internet in this way.

I personally think it would be preferable to dedicate a TLD for national governments, and let that TLD identify their sites as the official site for that country. In this way, you broaden out the options instead of narrowing them down. So the nation of Iceland's site could be found at: Iceland.state (or whatever ending was designated).

It's the same with the whole IP issue. If businesses have a trademark and want to identify their official site, then it would be better to designate a TLD which identified their official status. So: Ford.reg (where .reg was used to identify a trademarked site). Again, this would have the effect of broadening out the freedoms of the net, and allowing Mr. Nobody Ford the right to have a homepage at Ford.com if he managed to get the domain name.

It would also benefits countries and companies, in that they would not have to defensively register domain names in an ever-increasing range of TLDs.

At the heart of this is "control" and the narrowing down of the internet. I oppose the annexing of swathes of addresses, just because people claim a TM (and the same applies to country names). Thousands of generic words are annexed by companies just because of a trademark - and yet a domain name is not meant to be a trademark at all.

As I say, it would be much better to designate purpose-driven TLDs which identified eg: official country site; trademarked sites etc etc.

Take the word "Apple". There must be hundreds of companies with trademarks on this name all over the world in different jurisdictions. What gives one specific company the right to "annex" the name Apple, say, in the Sunrise of a New TLD names release? What about the other 99 companies who also use that name? But more importantly, what about the millions of people all over the world for whom the word "Apple" is part of their day to day vocabulary, part of their language.

I am unhappy with the closing off of any part of our language, with the restriction of access to DNS which should be available to all users on a first come first served basis.

The annexing of our language, the "control" instinct, is contrary to the spirit of the internet.

Of course, if bad faith is demonstrable - if someone tries to pass themselves off as the United States government at UnitedStates.com - then that is a different matter. And then, that person should be pursued through the courts. But if I am a 90 year old woman and American patriot, and just happen to get the name UnitedStates.com when it drops, and if I choose to do a great site all about my country and its history at my site, then I should be allowed to... because an unknown 90-year-old woman is just as entitled as the President of the United States to write about her country and run a site that is relevant to her, and maybe many others, at an easy and recognisable domain name address.

With the proliferation of New TLDs, we should be designating purpose-driven endings which clearly identify official sites for: countries, places, trademarked companies, etc etc.

To a large extent, the obsession with defensive registrations results from having such a limited number of TLDs, and so conflicting parties scrabble for 'ownership' of the limited namespace.

We should broaden choice, not narrow it down. We should keep addresses open to the many, not annex them for the few.

yrs,

Richard Henderson