Re: [ga] Quote of the Day - Barcelona.com

From: "John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D." <john@johnberryhill.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:53:05 -0500

> Oral arguments were heard today in the Barcelona.com case, now on appeal at
> the Fourth Circuit.  I will post a detailed report elsewhere later, but the
> quote of the day goes to this exchange between Hon. J. Paul V. Niemeyer of
> the Fourth Circuit, and Jordan Weinstein of Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier
> & Neustadt:
>
> Niemeyer:  Have you ever been to Barcelona?
>
> Weinstein:  Yes, I have.  I was there just a few weeks ago.
>
> Niemeyer:  While you were there, did you notice whether any private
> businesses, shops, or cafes used the word "Barcelona" on them?
>
> Weinstein:  I was not there on that kind of sightseeing trip.
>
> Niemeyer:  Well I'VE been to Barcelona, and I saw a lot of them.

Sure, but has any of them got a trademark on Barcelona? I would think one could only get a trademark on Barcelona if one is not there. If I open a shop called Barcelona in Paris, I might apply for a trademark on Barcelona for the stuff I sell. If I do this in Barcelona, I cannot.

Cees@Rindmarsch.COM