RE: [ga] ALAC comments on proposed Bylaws modifications

> ...and likely be replaced by the ITU, an intergovernmental
> organization that knowingly gives the public voting powers and broad
> ways to participate. Would that be an achievement for us?

Vittorio,
Public voting powers and broad ways to participate would be a vast
improvement on what we have now, a cartel that is taking users to the
cleaners. However, my point is not about replacing ICANN, it's about poor
leveraging in current negotiations. ICANN can do more than is being offered,
but it needs to be pressed home.

Meanwhile, the ALAC door is wide open for allegations of nepotism, which is
the price ICANN pays for appointing representatives, rather than electing
them, and for back room dealing, rather than open and transparent processes.
It is not for me to prove, it is for the ALAC to disprove.

You wrote:-
So, if ICANN manages the At Large directly, it is trying to take control of
it, and if it does not, it is not controlling it enough.
What are you proposing then?

Answer: No, that is not what I said, it is your opinion, not mine.

The At Large's best interests are best served by ICANN repeating worldwide
elections, to establish RALOs if that's the way ICANN wants it to work. In
return, it seems a reasonable request to enter into an MoU with ICANN,
whereby the RALO's would give up their autonomy. However, if no meaningful
help is forthcoming from ICANN, then why would the At Large want to give up
it's autonomy?

This is not a trivial issue, it's a deal breaker and while unresolved, the
natural evolution for the At Large is, and will continue to be as a group of
heterarchies, without any central leader, and operating outside of ICANN.
That's not a bad situation to be in. Losing autonomy and getting nothing in
return is worse.

You tell me what each At Large group will get from an MoU that a) is worth
giving up autonomy and b) it can't live without?

Regards,
Joanna