[ga] Privacy Brainstorming

Thomas,

Thanks for your offer to accept further thoughts about whois data privacy
for your brainstorming session.

Some observations and a proposal.

Registrant privacy is a right that we must start to take more seriously.
Also note that this is not simply a European or American issue. There are
hundreds of privacy jurisdictions that we would need to consider and
rationalize if we take some of the approaches that have been put forward
recently.

Rather, let me propose instead that we examine policy and technical
mechanisms that will allow for local policy to track up through the
international system. It has been done elsewhere and it can be done here.
Further, there is no reason to delay in this discovery[1]. These will not be
trivial variables to solve for - we should start immediately.

Lastly, lets not forget that the GAC is part of ICANN. Rather than drawing
in "this agency" or "that commission", which will only result in us being
distracted by the various local agenda, lets reach-out to our GAC colleagues
and let them tell us where we need to pay special attention and what care we
need to take to respect their local laws. This isn't so much about
compromise as it is about cooperation and building consensus on solutions
that will benefit the community over the long-term. Attempting to craft
policy based on the immediate political objectives of any of the factions
will not get us where we need to be.

Best regards,

                     -rwr

[1] I can forward you some further thoughts on the specific mechanisms, but
I think its more important at this point to identify who has requirements
and what they are rather than trying to design a specific mechanism that
*might* hit the mark. Who has requirements you say? Lets start with
Registrants, Intermediates (registrars/resellers), Registries and lastly,
data users/consumers.

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
thought which they seldom use."
 - Soren Kierkegaard