Re: [ga] Contemplated Registry Fees

On 02:07 20/02/03, Richard Henderson said:
>Maybe the whole concept of basing domain name distribution on the profit
>motivation and the marketplace is skewed in the first place.

Please, this econmical model was not in a first place. It is in the fourth
place.

1. First place it was free and life long (international public and private
data services, Tymnet, PTTsn under FCC approval and IUT rules).

2. Second place: Minitel. It was free (but included host link installation
fee) and was (and still is) in most of cases paying back on the access
duration, many people making a living out of it.

3. Then accoding to X.121 plan. Differed from operators to operators.

4. then the NSI model. The worst one IMHO as the registrant is the customer
and everything is designed to lose him.

5. normal logical model: the user get the name life long for free as a
confirmation of his ownership of the mnemonic (the individual name, a TM, a
chosen name) and the seller (reghistrar) start building on this to sell him
services as much and as long as he can.

Today only the 5th model makes sense. Obviously no one needs ICANN in that
case. But who does need ICANN a part from top US spheres for pure political
reasons.

Is the NTIA needing them? no
Are the ccTLDs needing them? no they have the wwcctld
Are the IDNs needing them? no
Are the sTLDs needing them? no, they can join the TLDA
Are the gTLDs needing them? no, they can revive the TLDA
Are the GAC needing them? no, they have the ITU
Are the users needing them? maybe, but they do not want to care about the users
Who is then needing them? ISOC to permit IETF and IAB and IESG and their
BoD to survive

So let clarify and let get ICANN under ISOC, let them continue with the
current TCP/IP system and let see how to develop the future internet and
let organize the transition. We will stop disputing and everyone will be
happy making money. Even Louis Touton since the transition will take a few
years: he will still stay in control of contractnet for another three years.

---